Junior Year Course Selection

I’m a sophomore in high school looking to plan my course selections for next year. I hope to major in a social science (leaning towards political science/international relations), and STEM is anathema to me. My course selections for next year are AP Lang, APUSH, AP Gov, APES, and AP seminar, alongside band and Latin 3. My parents, however, want me to take an AP math class next year (probably AP calc or AP stat) in place of AP seminar. I’m concerned that taking an AP math class with an already onerous workload would probably have the effect of lowering my overall GPA (I currently have a B in precalc HN, my lowest grade). They’re concerned that not taking an AP math class would cast me in an undesirable light for admissions, even though I could still potentially take one senior year. What’s the better option?

Well, you need a math class, although it doesn’t have to be AP. So which math class is your option.

Taking an elective in place of a core subject or doubling up on social science at the expense of math is not a valid option.

5 Likes

My school district allows it–precalc is enough to graduate with an advanced degree, so I don’t have to take a math class next year. (The standard track in my county is that precalc would be senior year.)

What colleges recommend almost always exceed what high schools require. My answer remains unchanged

6 Likes

From what I understand, most colleges recommend or require 3 yrs of math at least during high school. I think OP should take a math so as not to take any risks. Whether the class is AP, Stats, Calculus, or whatever depends on the individual, but taking something would be recommended.

You really need to take a math class each year - even if it’s not AP. And double check with other students about taking APES and APUSH in the same year. Not recommended where we are because they are both a lot of work at our school.

1 Like

Agree. You need a math class next year. Admission officers look for students to take a well rounded course of study in HS. College is the time to specialize.

While precalculus is the normal 4th year of high school math, some colleges require a math or math-heavy course (e.g. physics) senior year (e.g. Washington publics).

Also, for the more selective colleges, stopping math at precalculus (or lower) before 12th grade may not be a good look to an admission reader, even if taking math beyond precalculus completed in 11th grade is not a requirement.

The requirements for the political science major at some colleges do include a quantitative methods (statistics and the like) course (consider how political polls and elections are analyzed). Additionally, many colleges do have a math or quantitative reasoning graduation requirement. Would you rather be done with it in high school through AP statistics or calculus (and a high enough score), or have to take a similar course at a faster pace in college?

Chiming in to say you need a math class. it is not that common for everyone to agree on these threads…yet here we are all agreeing you absolutely need math. Find out the options that follow Precal and talk to your math teacher and your counselor and make the best choice for a math course based on their recommendations.

1 Like

While you shouldn’t escape science and math, you needn’t take AP.

What level of school are you looking at? I agree your schedule is very strong and if it’s too much for you and you struggle…then what?

I’ve decided to go with AP stat for my junior year, and replaced AP gov with AP econ to give myself a little breathing room. Thank you very much for all the advice!

Not sure how ap econ gives you breathing room.

4 Likes

This is one of the most mysterious sentences I think I’ve read on this forum lol

1 Like

Especially for a student who does not like math…

1 Like

AP stats is not only an important course, but it will also give you a taste of the quantitative skills needed in the social sciences. You don’t have to love it, but you’ll have to know and embrace stats in any social science discipline. I know multiple folks who — despite preferring humanities to STEM — nonetheless enjoy calculus more than stats; sounds like that isn’t you, though. I kind of hate stats. But it’s a very important set of skills and I think you’re making a great choice to take the class.

I still think you should go on to take calc as a senior. Many colleges will expect it.

Just chiming in to say that, at our school, AP Econ is a rigorous class that is very math-heavy. It is taught through our math department. I understand other schools may teach it through the History department. But please do check with your counselors on that one. It appears that you are going from no math classes to two fairly rigorous math classes (AP Stat and AP Econ), while eliminating an easier Social Science AP class.

Good choice with AP stats. It’s a good choice if you don’t like pre-calc as it’s completely different sort of math.

I agree with the other posters. Do not take AP Econ! Your course load seems very heavy.

I would honestly skip one of the AP’s and do a study hall. It won’t hurt your GPA. Conversely you could take another regular, fun class (but that could bring your GPA down since it wouldn’t be weighted, if you care).

You don’t want to get burned out your junior year!

AP Stats sounds good for math but I would skip AP Econ and maybe save it until next year (even though it’s not technically a math you could take it senior year in place of a 4th year of math.) In place I would sign up for a fun/interesting history elective that is not AP. You already have an AP history class but sounds like you like history/social science so why not take a class that won’t be too challenging but still highlights your interests. Does your school have any cool history electives?