Just back from campus visit/tour

<p>Since it is our spring break, it seemed the perfect time to go and visit with our DD who is currently a junior. Our DS is a sophomore at UMiami, but we wanted our DD to get her own trip with fresh eyes...Already big fans of UMiami, we were excited to go back for the whole tour/info session again. The place was packed! Obviously, alot of accepted seniors were there taking tours and checking out the place to help make their decisions. There were 3 large groups of tours going on at our time. Our guide was a senior and did an excellent job. Great enthusiasm for UMiami and a thorough tour. Weather was beautiful , although hotter than we expected, but it was a great tour for our DD. We had an info session in the Cosford Cinema with a very knowledgeable admissions rep and not much seems to have changed since we did this a few years ago. He did say that class rank is not looked at, although I find that hard to believe because it seems to matter alot in the scholarship race.
The campus looked beautiful and clean and we ate in the food court with our DS before our departure to visit more schools on our adventure. Good food in our opinions!
Of course our DD loved it and will definitely apply in the fall. Lots going on on the campus...softball intramurals, quidditch matches, prep for Relay for Life, random guys giving hugs in the bookstore area, one group selling Key Lime pies as a fundraiser, the list goes on. It was a friendly atmosphere with people walking by us, saying hello to our DS and wanting to meet us...I did look carefully for all of the stereotypical stuff that we read about the university...no snobby folks in sight. Diverse groups of people eating together, no ridiculously expensive cars in the parking lots either...lots of t-shirts and shorts and flipflops. Friendly students holding doors open for others, signs about upcoming events, it seemed like a normal campus of hustle and bustle and fun.
The other thing that I noticed was that whether the staff was a student or an older adult working, all were friendly, offered help if needed, and were overall pleasant.
We got to see the renovated wellness center...amazing!
So, my only suggestion is that if you are on the fence about whether to attend the U or not, go visit!</p>

<p>DinDune</p>

<p>What day and time did you do your tour? </p>

<p>My brother, sister-in-law, and nephew did a tour yesterday!</p>

<p>It is funny because they are from Michigan and a big sports family. When my nephew was about six or so he suddenly decided that the Canes were “his team” and he has been a big fan ever since. If he somehow ends up going there he would not need to buy any gear because he is fully stocked!</p>

<p>We were there last Monday at 9am. We went on to other schools in the south and just arrived home.</p>

<p>So you did the grand school tour?!</p>

<p>Any favorites emerging? We are swinging by CMU and Case Western over spring break on our way to/from Michigan to visit relatives. My son is a sophomore. He wants to go to MIT for engineering (don’t they all). We already visited there, but we need to visit more schools that will not be such a high reach/crap shoot!</p>

<p>it was only so packed because the singer scholarship weekend was also going on</p>

<p>“it was only so packed because the singer scholarship weekend was also going on”
^
I actually participated in just about every single singer scholarship event over the past two weekends, and I can assure you that there were no singer scholarship events occurring on Monday :slight_smile: However, on Friday, the admissions office was incredibly busy, because in addition to regularly scheduled tours, Cane 4 a Day was happening, and the Singer Intervieees were coming that evening.</p>

<p>This is actually an incredibly busy time of year, because everyone is trying to decide whether or not they’ll commit to Miami or other schools. And what is a better way to do that than to visit? :)</p>

<p>I visited with DS in Feb. He’s only a soph so just starting to look. The UM campus absolutely sells itself. We were definitely impressed and am sure DS will be applying when the time comes. He was talking about it again this week… </p>

<p>We did the tour and info session. Will likely go again next year to talk to his dept of interest and sit in on a class. </p>

<p>Sent from my ADR6300 using CC App</p>

<p>Wait, there is a CC app?</p>

<p>I wish I did not know this, too dangerous!! LOL!</p>