Karate/MMA/krav maga on campus or close by off campus

<p>My D has been involved in karate since 8th grade and would like to continue next fall as a UA freshman. Does anyone know if there is a campus karate/MMA/krav maga club? It looked like from some online searches I did that there may have been an active campus club a few years ago, but nothing popped up on the UA website when I searched for current on campus clubs. How about any close by off campus dojos/clubs? Needs to be within walking distance as she won’t have a car. We thought we could check out the clubs/places when we visit on November 5-6. Thanks!</p>

<p>Our OOS son was part of the largest Shotokan karate club in the US. In High school he used to train 3X per week and competed in a number of local and national tournaments. After passing 11 belt levels, which takes between 5-7 years, he was presented with his black belt.
Like you, we were looking for a dojo nearby. I posted the same question on CC last year and had someone mention the club that was active on campus a few years ago, but we were unable to find any current active clubs nearby.<br>
Fast forward to today-freshman son is now part of intramurals, running club and has joined a fraternity. The time commitment to these activities, not to mention his studies, would have made continuing karate a challenge.<br>
Best of luck to you- enjoy your visit in November!</p>

<p>Thanks. D does Enshin Karate 3x a week and is a brown belt. I found one dojo off campus on 1431 Hackberry Lane - West Alabama Martial Arts Academy. About 1.5 miles from North Campus (D will be living in the Honors dorms). Kind of far without a car for evening classes. They have no website, but they do have a Facebook page. Maybe we’ll check it out on our visit.</p>

<p>A brown belt-she’s so close. Shotokan has three levels of brown belt. We’re not familiar with Enshin. Goal for S was to reach black belt, while in high school, which he achieved. (He is proud of his black belt which has his name spelled in Japanese)
S is involved in a variety of activities, grades are strong-he’s in honors housing-Ridgecrest, and he’s socializing-he’s mentioned tailgating, midnight sushi and sorority socials. Karate just fell off the radar screen.
I would just keep the karate time commitment in mind-especially at that level. There’s so much to do at Alabama.
Please let us know how your campus visit turns out. Hope your experience turns out to be as enjoyable as ours was. Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>Found one! The Sensei is a Professor and Chair in the Department of Communications. Classes at both the YMCA Central Branch and on campus (Moore Hall, 3rd floor). Here is the link for future reference for others – [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.jikc-karate.com/JIKC-IndexFH11001.html]JIKC_Index.FH11[/url”&gt;http://www.jikc-karate.com/JIKC-IndexFH11001.html]JIKC_Index.FH11[/url</a>].</p>