L&S Honors

<p>Can you apply midyear for honors or do you have to apply before the beginning of the academic year? Is it worth it?</p>

<p>Students can apply after starting freshman year, I am not sure the timing. Whether it is worth it depends on your perspective. It does not create an entirely separate experience for select students, as it does at some schools. My son has really appreciated the chance to have Honors sections with the prof, rather than a TA. He has developed relationships with profs, shared their love of the subject etc. And, pragmatically speaking, they can write recs for him etc. Depends on what you are looking for. </p>

<p>The advantage to being in the Honors Program when you first start is getting an Honors advisor for SOAR, activities in the fall and being assured of getting into Honors courses (ie if the course fills up Honors Program students get the spots). Otherwise the great thing is that you can choose to join at any time. Of course, to get an Honors degree of any kind you will need to meet all of the requirements, which could delay graduation if you wait too long to take courses. You do not have to take Honors courses while in the Honors Program so if there are none you want in a given semester that’s okay. I know of no disadvantages to joining sooner rather than later. You can always stop taking Honors courses and not finish the requirements without any problem. Go for it if you want any Honors courses freshman year. And think beyond the box- go for higher numbered courses sharing a lecture (eg Course X 101 or 301).</p>