Laptop

<p>Ok.. so i know that i am for sure getting a laptop..but that's about all i know. Does anyone have any advice as to which computer i should get?.. oh and when should i purchase it.. spring.. summer.. early fall?</p>

<p>There was a thread about different laptops depending on your "gaming" habit. </p>

<p>Recap:
If you are a non-gamer, shoot for one lighweight (5-6lbs) with a dual-core processor (at least 1.6 GHz), 1 GB memory (or more), a good-size HD (i.e. 120 GB) and a DVD burner. If you can get an "extended" battery that gives you 5-7 hours of battery life, do it. Also get an external USB drive for backup.</p>

<p>About timing: Intel will release a new laptop platform around 2nd week of May. Do some window shopping now and plan to buy when they are put on clearance before the back-to-school season starts (usually mid June). If you are Mac fan, wait 'till after the WWDC (mid June).</p>

<p>sorry.. i'm not a gamer.. but i am definetly into pictures/music... so mid-june is kind of the ideal time to get the best products/prices?</p>

<p>For PC, between mid-May and mid-June. Best deal is probably for those models (on the shelf today) as retailers clear them for newer models that will be announced shortly. For Mac, after mid-June.</p>

<p>Is there wifi in the dorm rooms?</p>

<p>If not, would it be possibly to use maybe a router to hook up more than one computer for a single person. (plan on taking my iMac and some laptop)</p>

<p>Yes to both questions.</p>

<p>The UW DoIt website will probably have computer buying advice again this summer-June/July. Check past computer threads...</p>

<p>so.. what would people consider a "good deal" on laptops.. not talking about the super sale $400 ones.. i mean ones that will get you through undergraduate school and not be completely outdated by the time you're a senior?</p>

<p>Assuming PC here. In 3 years from now (based on the Intel roadmaps that I've seen), most laptops will have four processor cores (versus today's two) and considerably faster wireless performance and longer battery life. Since this is the beginning of a computer upgrade cycle (think: Microsoft Vista), most of the laptops that are capable of running Vista Premium/Business should comfortably run your regular office/business software for the next 4-5 years. So what you are going to buy today will do the jobs and won't feel "outdated". The same can't be said of laptops brought three years ago as many couldn't run Vista and next generation of software. Saw one of those Mac-vs-Vista TV commercials? :)</p>

<p>However, many consumer-grade laptops may not last that long without a major breakdown in component. You may want to consider a good 3/4-year extended warranty to protect yourself. Some of the common problems (and costs): hard drive (~$150), dead battery (~$150) or processor board (~$200) etc.</p>

<p>It's rumored that Apple will be bringing quad core MBPros to market in September or earlier. I'm dumping my Macbook for that when it comes out.</p>

<p>My life pretty much revolves around technology... and I decided about a year ago to try Mac out.. and while I still love Windows this computer just doesn't ahve the same slowdowns that my windows machine did. I still run a desktop on XP to game, but for business and school I use the mac because it doesn't give me any of the headaches the PC did.</p>

<p>At the very least, wait for the new Intel Mobile Platform codenamed "Santa Rosa" coming in May. It's the new line for Core 2 Duo's.</p>

<p>Oh and does anyone know when Dell and HP have their tax free weekends? Or if there are major retailers that do the whole tax-free back to school thing. I forgot when it is.</p>