LGBT Students at Carleton

Hi-- I was wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me a little bit about the LGBT community at Carleton?

How accepting is the campus community (and the Northfield community, as well) in general (especially of trans & non-binary students) and how active and visible are the LGBT clubs + community? I’m also wondering how good the resources the college provides for LGBT students are and if there is gender-inclusive and/or LGBT-themed housing, and if so what the process for getting into it is?

1 Like

@JCollege22 I was wondering the same thing. I was just accepted as a transfer of class of 2023.

Oh, awesome! I was also accepted as a transfer for the class of 2023

Hello @JCollege22 I’m not sure if this reply is too late but Carleton is definitely LGBT-friendly and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved with LGBT clubs or activities. I met most of my LGBT friends outside of LGBT spaces, but if you’re really looking for those, I’d recommend going to one of the weekly events at the Gender and Sexuality Center (they do a weekly tea/casual hangout thing). Here’s a link to their website:

https://www.carleton.edu/gender-sexuality-center/

Disclaimer: I am cis, so can’t speak specifically to trans or nonbinary experiences, but I have a few nonbinary friends (one of them was my roommate recently). Lots of housing (but not all) have gender-neutral bathrooms and I’m sure that’s something you could specifically request. There are two houses for LGBT people, there’s QTPOC which is for Queer and Trans people of color and Gender House which is a little more general and located right next to the GSC.

Hope that helps!

1 Like