Liberal Arts

<p>Purdue is known for its engineering program, but how's the College of Liberal Arts?</p>

<p>Is it a good school to study humanities (philosophy, history and psychology)?</p>

<p>I heard that it has a better student-teacher ratio than IU.</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s all that good. I’m from Indiana, and I have several friends who went to Purdue, and they say that their liberal arts courses were somewhat mediocre (nothing great, nothing bad-they’re engineering students).</p>

<p>But it all depends. What do you want to do? If you want to go to law school after ug, then there’s nothing wrong with pursuing a liberal arts degree from Purdue. Law schools don’t care about the caliber of your ug institution. Plus, since Purdue’s humanities aren’t that rigorous, you could easily score straight As, spend more time on studying for the LSAT, and getting into Harvard Law. For example, I went to the University of California, Berkeley for undergrad, but here at NYU law I’ve met students who did well at low ranked/much easier undergrad institutions. </p>

<p>If your aspiration isn’t law school, then don’t go to Purdue for liberal arts. It really isn’t all that reputable. Notre Dame.U of Chicago, UIUC are much better (albeit much harder to get into) in the midwest area in general. Hell, I’m sure IU is better than purdue in liberal arts.</p>

<p>Purdue has excellent engineering and pre-pharm, relatively good business, and okay everything else. Just keep that in mind.</p>

<p>I would have to agree. Personally, I think the liberal arts core classes are a waste of time (mostly because I am not majoring in humanities, so I would rather just focus on my major-specific classes.). They are the classes you won’t have much work in and will put little effort into but still can manage to get an A in the class. </p>

<p>However, I think if you were to major in a humanities based major, you may like it. Most people who aren’t majoring in humanities dislike all the LA core classes required to take, however, you can easily get around most of crappy the requirements (like 4 semesters of a language, I’m taking sign language…super easy. And for math you can take the lowest math offered, again…super easy, etc) Also getting into the Liberal Arts Honors college is good because of the classes/opportunities offered (I’m just starting next semester so I can’t tell you what the classes are exactly like yet but they are smaller and more interactive with the professor and other students in the class) and you will probably enjoy the classes more.</p>