college of liberal arts?

<p>I know that Purdue University is a great school in engineering and pharmaceutical science, and I am aware that most of the applicants at Purdue go in as an engineering major.</p>

<p>Despite this information, I want to pursue a career in law, and I applied to Purdue with a History major. I have always been fascinated by history, and I don't know, its just something about Purdue that really attracted me in my visit there.</p>

<p>I got accepted as a History Major with a weighted high school gpa of 4.1 and a sat score of 2150.</p>

<p>I just want to know, is the history department at Purdue worth attending? My neighbor is a very successful attorney who did his undergrad from Purdue University as a history major and attended UCLA's Law school thereafter.</p>

<p>I really love history and I am interested in pursuing law. However I have heard the stereotype that Purdue is "a crappy school at majors other than engineering and pre-pharmacy." </p>

<p>Is anyone attending or is an alumni of the college of liberal arts? How are the professors, and how is the student body? I know that Purdue has a high admissions rate for majors other than engineering, and I really don't want to work with people that don't care about getting an education for that matter.</p>

<p>Thank You</p>

<p>Well first of all Purdue is a very well respected university domestically and internationally. It is sort of true on the stereotype, but Purdue has actually gotten better “overall” in terms of all their colleges. For example, Krannert(Business) has become a Top 50 B-School and also has really great rankings for areas such as Supply-Chain Management. Their Hospitality&Tourism Program in the Consumer & Family Sciences School is also well respected. Their College of Science has great programs from Agriculture, Biology, and a highly ranked CS program. Purdue would still be known for their Engineering program compared to anything else however. </p>

<p>To be honest, I’m not that knowledgeable of the College of Liberal Arts except for me taking two classes in that area which were COM 114(a mandatory class for literally everyone) and EDPS 200(Career class). I however do know some people who are my fraternity brothers that are majoring in History, Poli. Sci, and Law & Society at Purdue. Haven’t really talked to them about it but each one of them are happy with the professors they have since they only talk good things about the classes and all. If you loved Purdue when you visited, you should still go for it. It is beneficial for you if you do well also since it is as I said a well respected school so I’m pretty sure it will help you somewhat when you apply to Law School. Just go well on your LSAT also :P</p>

<p>Well sorry, I don’t have much to offer in terms to answering your question, but I’m also considering going to Purdue for the Liberal Arts College (Psychology, History, or Political Science most likely) and have concerns about the huge reputation as an engineering school.</p>

<p>Honestly I don’t care about its reputation as an engineering school, I just want to go to a decent program that will adequately help me in getting me to a good law school. I want the liberal arts program to be challenging at Purdue, and I want to be around studious people.</p>

<p>Jimgotkp- Do the liberal arts students in your fraternity seem like hard working, studious, and intelligent people?</p>

<p>Well they are hard working and intelligent. One of them was our chapter President this past year and he had to do A LOT of work along with school stuff. They aren’t that studious until Finals come like many other students but they are quite intelligent I would say. They still have their fun though but they are good students for sure.</p>

<p>^HokiBoshi - my son was just accepted to the College of Education - he plans on pursuing a degree to teach History/Social Studies in high school - so he will also be focusing on History, but in a different path.</p>

<p>I work at a University in the midwest and talked to a colleague of mine about the History department at Purdue - and she said it was topnotch. From an academia standpoint, that’s all I’ve got…but my son observed a history class when he visited Purdue recently and he thought the class was great (albeit it was a class of 50 or so but thought the material and the prof were very dynamic).</p>

<p>I certainly understand your concern…Purdue far and away is well-known in the sciences and engineering…but we are very impressed with at least their education program and the opportunities it offers. I think it is simply fit and feel. </p>

<p>Where else are you looking for history/pre-law?</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, I feel much better about being accepted by the CLA.</p>

<p>I just hope graduate law schools will respect my enrollment in Purdue as a humanities major, as not much is known to the masses about the CLA apparently ><</p>

<p>It essentially doesn’t matter as much about prestige when applying to law school (or any graduate program for that matter). The key is to DO WELL wherever you go, score well on the LSAT - and you can get into any law school.</p>

<p>Say that I do well in Purdue’s humanities department, and score high on the LSAT, would you think that it is possible to get into, let’s say, Harvard Law School? (My dream law school at the moment…but I don’t know if it is feasible haha)</p>

<p>I concur with RSquare. For grad school it is more about how well you do on your graduate test (in this case the LSAT) and your GPA in college and your extracurriculars. Only after then does the prestige of your school matter. And if you want to go to Harvard and you get a 4.0 at Purdue and ace your LSAT and have glowing recommendations and have tons and tons of extracurriculars, I don’t see why they would not accept you. But also remember that you’ll be competing against lots of other people for law school. Some of them are professionals going back to school with MBAs or whatnot and some could be fresh grads with various majors. And we all know liberal arts usually isn’t the hardest major so that could be a factor.</p>