Link to University of Alabama Master Plan Survey

<p>[Survey</a> | Qualtrics Survey Software](<a href=“http://alabama.■■■■■■■■■■■■■/SE/?SID=SV_3POvQ9b3v2qOpyA]Survey”>http://alabama.■■■■■■■■■■■■■/SE/?SID=SV_3POvQ9b3v2qOpyA)</p>

<p>I posted this to another thread, but thought this deserved it’s own thread. Now is your chance to help shape UA’s campus over the next 10 years. I urge everyone, including prospective students, to complete the survey. It does not take very long to complete, and will give you a chance to have an impact on the future UA campus. I know some of you have some great ideas and critiques. Please share them at this link. Then let the rest of us know what you shared with the survey. </p>

<p>I recommended that the area to the south of the far east of campus be brought into harmony with the rest of campus. Right now, that side of Univ. Blvd. is a rather unattractive entrance, even with the gorgeous new Nursing Building on the north side of Univ. Blvd. </p>

<p>I called for less disparities between Greek Housing and the student dorms. The west side of campus needs new facilities as well. Time to replace or dramatically remodel Ten Hoor. The area to the west of the stadium needs a lot of work. I think the area around the campus still needs more of a “village” feel, though the Strip is light years from what it used to be. </p>

<p>Of course, I want the green spaces protected, less cars in the campus core, and minishuttles to campus core to help reduce traffic on campus. </p>

<p>There is so much to like about the campus, but no place is perfect, so what are your suggestions?</p>

<p>bumpinit up</p>

<p>Atlanta…great suggestions.</p>

<p>thanks, yours as well!</p>

<p>I wrote that there needs to be new student center in the core of the campus, whether it incorporates the existing Ferguson Center or not.</p>

<p>I was at Texas A&M this week, and it struck me just how spacious the campus felt. The library and student center (half of which is closed for renvoation and further expansion) just felt impressive and much larger than our central library and student center. They had multiple Quad-like areas. It was just a stark reminder to me of how cramped our campus can feel at times. I would say Texas A&M (38,000 students) is a model that UA should look towards when making future campus planning decisions.</p>

<p>They had multiple Quad-like areas.</p>

<p>That may be why Bama is building a Quad between the SEC buildings. </p>

<p>[Science</a> quad building approved | TuscaloosaNews.com](<a href=“http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100409/NEWS/100409617]Science”>http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20100409/NEWS/100409617)</p>

<p>* It was just a stark reminder to me of how cramped our campus can feel at times.*</p>

<p>LOLOLOLOLOLOL…words from a spoiled T-town native… just kiddin’ </p>

<p>Seriously, you have no idea how good you have it. You can’t compare a univ with an “A&M” type of university because those schools have lots more land because of the “Agricultural” aspect. Schools like UC Davis are also very large because of the ag aspect. </p>

<p>However, when you compare Bama’s land size to other “non-ag” schools with similar enrollment, Bama has a very good-sized campus. Bama was around 1000 acres, but with the addition of Bryce, will be 1300 acres.</p>

<p>For instance…</p>

<p>UCLA…undergrad enrollment: 27,000…land size: 419 acres (that’s not a typo)
UNC-CH…undergrad enrollment: 19,000…land size: 700 acres
Georgia Tech…21,000… 400 acres
USouthCarolina…25,000…360 acres
U Texas…38,000…423 acres (now THAT is cramped)</p>

<p>I could go on… :)</p>

<p>I agree the size of the campus is not the problem. </p>

<p>My top two priorities for future building would be increased on-campus student study campus, maybe by an expansion of Gorgas or a new library/student study space on the new campus area, and a new and expanded student center to replace the Ferguson Center.</p>

<p>I really think blocking off the campus core to vehicular traffic is the way to go. Build parking decks/lots at the 4 perimeter corners of campus and limit the interior to pedestrians, shuttle buses, and delivery type vehicles.</p>

<p>There really is no need for students to have vehicles inside the campus core. You’d have to be crazy or extremely extremely lazy to drive from class to class.</p>

<p>Turn the current parking lots within the core into green space and plant a few shade trees and add a few park benches.</p>

<p>I know that there were plans made, just a few years ago, to turn the area behind the main library into a car free honors plaza, but I see that has been removed from the upcoming Facility projects list. It would be hard to replace those parking spaces, as they are so convenient for faculty and students for weekend and night studying. </p>

<p>BUT, it would look so much better! I know that the recent budget problem (which UA is managing much better than most big schools) is probably another factor. </p>

<p>Feeno, you have some good ideas for sure. But I do think UA already has a number of green spaces if you think about it. </p>

<p>Try FSU’s campus if you want to see crowded. 40,000 on 450 acres.</p>

<p>NJ, thanks for your input. Did you complete the online survey? It didnt take long for me to to do it.</p>

<p>Thanks for the link. I just completed the survey. I think it’s important that we all give our input and we’ll see what the BOT decides to do. </p>

<p>With the addition of the Bryce property there are many options. The decisions made in the next few years will shape OUR University for the next century.</p>