List of Top, Prestigious Awards

Well, if you make one of the American olympiad teams, you’re a definite in at any top college in America, dunno how it would work out for you if you got a Bronze or Honorable Mention, but with a Silver or Gold you would be poised for a very good shot at any college…

well nothing is ever “definite” when it comes to top colleges, but i agree that it would definitely up your chances immensely

how is NIH research an 8??? It should be more like a 6 or 7… and jackson lab should be up there too (<10% acceptance rate with a $3600 stipend) and simons summer research program is up there too (15% acceptance with a $1000 stipend)

this may have already been answered somewhere earlier on the thread…but how would a college consider being a published author in a scientific journal within the spectrum of science research-y awards? Better than siemens semi? on par with…?

^ I want to know about this also. Is it contingent upon the prestige of the scientific journal?

^^that’s really, really good. journal papers are rare even for undergrads applying to grad school.

my sister had terrible grades. a 3 on calc bc. but somehow she submitted a paper to a conference (which isn’t even a journal). and she got into mit. mind you, this was ten or twelve years ago when research in high school was a lot rarer.

i published a paper in an actual journal and got a full ride to caltech. i had good stats on top of that but i’m pretty sure the paper was what got me the scholarship.

of course the more prestigious the journal the better (also it’s amazing if you’re first author instead of like fourth), but any journal paper is quite an accomplishment. normally papers translate into years of toil and effort by grad students who are paid to work on the project. not to mention the actual writing of the document can take at least several months.

what is National Honor Roll?

So the Podunk High Journal of Science isn’t a huge deal?

Academic Decathlon – National Competition
Only 9 students win at the Nationals (number one team).

10 - D1 athlete, IMO/IPHO/ICHO/IBO gold medals, Intel (top 10), Siemens National Winner/National Finalists, ISEF top 3 Grand Prize
9 - ISEF(1st places), Siemens Westinghouse (finalists), MOP, Intel Finalist, Presidential Scholar, Davidson Fellow, TOC
8 - TASP/RSI/NIH Research, Science Bowl/Ocean Science Bowl/NAQT winners, USPhO/USChO/USABO/USAMO/USACO national finalist (inclusive of USAMO qualification), Siemens Semi-finalists/ISEF(2-4 places), Intel semifinalist, Scholastic Writing and Art, Running your own <em>successful</em> business, NFL Nationals
7 - Selective summer programs or competitions, such as SSP, Clark Summer Program, ARML top score, Top 4 at NFL District Tournament
6 - USPhO/USChO/USABO/USACO semifinalist, AIME, Science Olympiad National medals, Congressional Award Gold Medalist
5 - National Latin Convention 1st Places Academic Contests, All-Eastern/all-regional music, National History Day winner
4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other languages, some state awards (all-state music, etc), Science Olympiad state medals (depending on what state you’re from), USAMTS Gold, National History Day
3 - All-County music, winning at local/regional science fairs, Eagle Scout, National Merit
2 - Bank of America Awards, most local awards/trophies (art, music, community - although they will say something about your character), Essay Contests, State History Day
1 - National Honor Society, Beta Club, School Departmental Awards, School Honor Roll
0 - Who’s Who, National Honor Role

Policy Debate: Adding in Tournament of Champions (TOC) in debate (top ~70 in country) at 9 and NFL Nationals at 8. Adding in NFL District top 4 (entire state or 1/2 state for big states) at 7.

NSHSS
LEAD
Boys State
Rotary youth Leadership award
book award

FWIW, last year’s national top scorer is now a student at the University of Minnesota.

Is scholastic art and writing really on par with Siemens or RSI (for the national awards, anyways)? Whenever I see someone asking for chances, if he/she puts Siemens or RSI most people reply and say that it’s a huge hook, whereas with Scholastic, people just tend to not think much of it (or is it because people just aren’t familiar with it?).

Don’t be dissin’ the U. :wink:

That’s why I put FWIW. I wasn’t trying to be dismissive, lol.

wait whats TOC?

Eagle is a …3 0.o?

TOC= Debate Tournament of Champions. Top ~70 in US make it. Most prestigious debate tournament in country.

oh pshh debate…math/science ecs are much more legit

What about NCTE Achievement Awards in Writing? I’m just interested because I am applying for that soon.