List of Top, Prestigious Awards

The year 2020 may not be representative (because of the pandemic). My recollection is that the number was usually around 1,000 prior to the pandemic.

1 Like

100% agreed. Although my son is NMSF we did not even think it mattered for admission.Didnt mention in Award list. SAT itself has become optional. Also some bright students in his school who are ranked higher than my son could not qualify. We know these kids and they are amazing- I feel it could have been a bad day or other factors. The cut off also changes drastically for different states.

Seems unlikely to me that a year with many fewer testers would result in a 5x increase in perfect scores on a standardized test. From various sources:

“Among US high school graduates in the class of 2016, only 2,235 out of nearly 2.1 million students who took the ACT earned a perfect score of 36”

“While the number is still quite small – 2,760 students in 2017, to be exact – high-performers have a much better chance now than two decades ago to earn that 36.”

“In 2018, it was about 3800”.

2019: “only about 3,700 get the highest possible ACT score”

These numbers have substantially increased.
2007-2012: “Over a five-year period, students scoring a perfect 36 composite on the ACT increased 82%, from 638 to 1,162 students.”

1 Like

How much of an impact of a score of 7 activity? Like Iowa young writer workshop and scholastic national gold medal? With reasonable good test score, gpa and ec. A score of 8 is considered a large boost, so not sure if a score of 7 vs a score of 6 really matters much?

I would think it is incrementally beneficial. I am told the scholastic gold medals help. And the Iowa workshop has some selectivity, and shows interest.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. I felt except those 8-10 score activities, the rest is somewhat up to AO’s interpretation.

A friend of mine’s sister got into Harvard this year.

She didn’t win anything but she got to the national finals of a mock trials competition + came 3rd in a national poetry competition + performed at a national level in a particular instrument + attended a UN event as a representative + was student body president.

She was also a low-income international that needed full aid.

So she didn’t do anything like the top awards on this list but she did do well at multiple different things. She wasn’t extraordinary enough to ‘win’ anything but she got national-level participation on multiple things.

Getting into Harvard is not an award.

1 Like

Getting into Harvard is not an award.

Who said it was?

I was just pointing out that you can do well at multiple things that aren’t quite winning and get in, not that getting into Harvard was the award.

3 Likes

Tasp has changed completely

1 Like

No, it is not.

Agree

1 Like

What about Cum Laude top 10%
What about YYGS (Yale)

All schools say ACT and SAT equal. Really or is having both a boost or SAT a boost?

Yes, really.

No

2 Likes

does Yale at least recognize / boost for YYGS?

Hi, I am a high school junior currently working on publishing in an IEEE peer reviewed research journal. How impressive would a publication in something like the biophysical journal or a bit lower be? If it was not a very prestigious journal, would it still be at least a 7 or lower? Also, are the legit publishing organizations (not scams) the same level of prestige as officially publishing independently? Which would be better? Are those organizations actually publishing or just doing a literature review? Lastly, how does the college tell that your publication is legit? What makes companies like polygence legit compared to pay to play scams?

i think a little bit