Living with a Sorority Girl

<p>Hi! I’ve been looking at my matches in the roommate finder, and most of my potential roommates have plans on rushing, and I am a bit concerned about this. I do not plan on rushing. Do you think someone who is in a sorority and someone who is not in a sorority would be able to be good friends? Would someone planning on rushing even want to live with someone who is not? I want to have a best friend relationship with my roommate. Will they be busy/gone all of the time? I definitely do not plan on being in the dorm all the time, but it would be nice to have someone to hang out with when I am there. I am NOT trying to allude that sorority girls are snobby or anything, I just need reassurance that they won’t be so busy with sorority things to be able to have time to make friends with me. Thanks!</p>

<p>There are moms on here whose D’s are in a sorority and roommates that are not. I’m sure they can expand on that end of things.</p>

<p>One thing to keep in mind is even if you were to rush, you and your roommate may not end up in the same sorority with a different schedule and circle of “sisters” that you will hang out with more than your roommate. My D and her roommate are in different sororities. They are good friends but they each have their own schedule of house events and their close friends from their sorority. </p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry. You are going to find the activities, clubs, etc that you want to get involved in and your roommate will have theirs.</p>

<p>My DD has 1 roommate that rushed and two that didn’t. They all get along and really like each other. However, she does not get to spend much time with them at all. She is hardly in her dorm. The pledge semester is very busy. She expects to see them more in the spring. She loves them all and still likes rooming with them but they do not have that best friend relationship you are wanting. It may not be everyone’s experience but it is hers.</p>

<p>I pledged a sorority later in the semester, and found I went from spending a good bit of my off time with my roommate to almost none. Back then, pledging was a full semester and we did not initiate until February. Things were not as frantic the rest of the year, but I still spent a lot of time at the house. By then, my roommate, who was a music major, was out of the room a lot either practicing or attending all the recitals they were required to see.</p>

<p>If you have 3 roommates and they’re all in sororities, you will have the room to yourself probably more than you want. It might be nice for at least one to not be in a sorority. Of course, they may have a boyfriend who requires her constant presence, or her own activities, or she likes to sleep every minute she’s not in class. You never know.</p>

<p>Last year D roomed with 3 other girls in RCS. 3 of the 4 rushed and one did not. Not a big deal. All the girls got along, but everyone else was right about different schedules and boyfriends. The one who did not rush had a boyfriend who monopolized her time. D actually saw her less than she saw the girls who were in different houses. </p>

<p>Freshman year D socialized with many different groups: Sorority was one, but so was her dorm friends, her friends in her major and her friends from Freshman Forum. You might find your best friend in any one of those groups…you never know.</p>

<p>It really depends, but you don’t have to rule out someone just because they are rushing.</p>

<p>My D knew she was going to rush, but she selected a roommate who did not rush. They get along wonderfully and do a lot together especially on the weekends. But they had a lot in common which is why they selected each other in the first place.</p>

<p>She has another roommate (who was randomly assigned) who also rushed and neither of the girls see very much of her, she is always busy with sorority stuff.</p>

<p>So it will really depend on the girl. My daughter hangs out with a group from her dorm and some of them are in a sorority and some are not. At least for this group being in a sorority does not consume all of their time and does not define who their friends are.</p>

<p>I can’t say every girl will be like this, but if you find someone who wants to be your roommate and knows you are not rushing, then there is a good chance they don’t plan on having the sorority be their only social group.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I would caution you on this type of expectation. Even the most carefully selected roommates don’t always turn into friendships. If you looks for girls that you think you can reasonably live with and share similar interests/morals/values with, friendships may emerge (and, of course, can also emerge from girls whose interests/morals/values aren’t similar), but the expectation of a best friend may bring about unnecessary disappointment. You will be meeting a lot of people next year. Your next BFF could pop up in a number of places on campus!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies. They definitely gave me a lot to consider. If anyone else has something to add, feel free to do so.</p>