Loans

my son will start at Bama in August. Can we still apply for loans? Can someone refer me to the process. Thanks so much!!

Did your son submit FAFSA? If not, he can still do so. Once that is done, he’ll get $5500 in loans, and if the parents need more, then they can take out a Parent Plus loan.

Yes, he did fill out the FASA! I think I need to find out how to have that money sent to the university to be applied to his fees, then look into the Plus for a little more! Thanks!

did he fill out FAFSA and did you get a FA letter from Bama that included a loan? If so, did you go online on MyBama and accept the loan offer? If so, then that will trigger the loan money being sent to the school.

Did you process the online MPN (master promissory note).

To get a Plus Loan then you go to https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action and click on Parent Borrowers

Has FAFSA been updated? I submitted my application, but my account doesn’t show an award yet. I can’t tell if that means I lost my financial aid for this year or if it just hasn’t been decided yet.

Are you referring to loans or other types of Financial Aid?

Like, Pell Grants.

If you qualify for a Pell Grant, you’re going to get it. You’re a returning student. I don’t know if aid pkgs have been completed for returning students. Have you checked myBama to see if your awards are there?

First check your MyBama and email account, second this is from the UA Financial FAQ page

What happens after UA receives my FAFSA?

Once your FAFSA is received it will be processed for a financial aid award or we may request additional information or documentation. It is important to monitor your myBama account and check your Crimson email for updates. Once your financial aid file is complete, you will receive an award notification. Please be aware that awarding for new students does not begin until the April before the fall semester begins and returning students are awarded in June/July.

Also, you can call the FInancial Aid Office to check

Office of Student Financial Aid
Box 870162
106 Student Services Center
The University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487

Phone: 1-205-348-6756
Toll Free Phone: 1-855-4MYBAMA (1-855-469-2262)
Fax: 1-205-348-2989