Lois the Witch and A Christmas Carol - December CC Book Club Selection

Time for @Mary13 to make an executive decision.

I just checked out the choices and they all look good. My top two choices would be The Dutch House and Cloud Cuckoo Land, but I will read any of the books listed.

4 Likes

I’ve been wanting to read The Dutch House but would be happy with any of them.

3 Likes

This was a hard one, so I’m going to take you through my thought processes, whether you like it or not. :nerd_face:

The Love Songs of W.E.B Du Bois dropped out of contention first, as it was mentioned the fewest number of times in our ranked choice voting, leaving us with The Dutch House, Cloud Cuckoo Land, and Malibu Rising.

Malibu Rising dropped off next, as it was ranked #1 by only one person (@jerseysouthmomchess) and also had one “meh” vote (meaning, “I’m flexible and will read anything, but it’s my last choice”).

That left us with The Dutch House and Cloud Cuckoo Land. The Dutch House was mentioned as either #1 or #2 by five people: @stradmom , @Caraid , @jerseysouthmomchess, @silverlady, and @CBBBlinker. Cloud Cuckoo Land was mentioned as either #1 or #2 by four people: @Caraid, @silverlady, @VeryHappy, and @mathmom. However, The Dutch House received two “meh” votes (it’s a thing, see by-laws), putting the two into a dead heat.

Therefore, after lots of internal debate, I’ve decided to call it for Cloud Cuckoo Land, for the following reasons:

• It’s hot right now, named a Best Book of 2021 by multiple outlets, which might make for a particularly lively discussion.

• It’s 640 pages, which normally would be a con, but not for February, which we traditionally reserve for longer reads. So the time is right in that respect.

• We have never discussed anything by Anthony Doerr, whereas Ann Patchett would be a repeat author.

• The world is still a rather gloomy place these days, and Cloud Cuckoo Land is described as “humane and uplifting”… “a novel about how people find hope in the midst of chaos and fear, and how books themselves might be the best things humans have ever done.”

I hope you all are okay with the choice and that it won’t be too hard to get your hands on a copy. I’ll start a new thread. Thanks, everyone!

6 Likes

Yay—I’d like an uplifting read! Thanks for your great analysis and keeping us on track! Will see about reserving this book with my library.

Well, I’m 59th on one wait list and 150th on another. Will see when I can get nearer top of the list. The wait listing system is odd in that if you are waitlisted at a library that owns a copy (which “my” library does), you skip past others waiting in the list.
I’m 10th on waitlist for ebook.

Great choice, I already had put both ebook and hard copy holds on Cloud Cuckoo Land and am looking forward to reading it. I also put an ebook hold on Malibu Rising because it sounded interesting. (I was “meh” on Dutch House because it sounded like a family relationship book, which is not my cup of tea.)

Love the decision making process explanation, especially when you refer to the BY LAWS. I forgot how impactful the “MEH” rating becomes when YOU, MARY13, our kind, objective always fair book discussion leader has to make these ever so important decisions.

Hope it didn’t add to too much stress, you must have to make a spread sheet to factor in all the ratings, during these busy days, too.
Uplifting sounds good,
Thank you, as always, Mary13

Oh goodie. I’m pleased. I’m reading it now and am up to page 59. (I’m very very slow in the beginning of a book. I often re-read the first 50 or so pages.)

Cloud Cuckoo Land is in Kindle Unlimited right now for those who have that.

I’m on the list at the library at number 3.

I put both Cloud Cuckoo Land and The Dutch House on hold at the library just in case, I’m number 228 but they have 98 copies, so it’s not as bad as it sounds. And number 37 out of 53 for the ebook.

Thanks to @Mary13. I’m surprised, expecting The Dutch House. All of the books sound good, so I’m looking forward to Cloud Cuckoo Land. (We need to keep the other choices in mind for next time.)

I’m currently reading:
Watcher in the Woods (Rockton series #4) - Kelley Armstrong. I read the first one in the series (City of the Lost) with my library book club. Escapist fiction.

The Other Bennet Sister - Janice Hadlow. Well-written but longer than it should be. Again - a library book club choice.

Moon Lake - Joe R. Lansdale. I haven’t started this one yet. The CC Book Club read Lansdale’s Paradise Sky once upon a time. After that I read another of his books Edge of Dark Water and liked it. Moon Lake is his latest (pub. 2021).

So who’s reading what?

I’m reading three things at once currently.

Spirits Abroad: Stories by Zen Cho.
She’s a young Malaysian writer. I had read two novels of hers that are set in Regency England with magic, but where Malaysian magic also comes into play. This is very interesting, but very much written without any help for someone who is not familiar with Malaysia. (Acronyms abound, there are all kinds of Malaysian spirits that would be as familiar to a local audience as gnome vs elf vs vampire are to us, but have me reaching for google pretty regularly.) I wish someone had added a cheat sheet at the back of the book.

Dracula by Bram Stoker.
Having finished The Historian at last I thought it was high time that I actually read the original Dracula story. I really liked the beginning. It has slowed a bit in the middle where one character knows more than the others, but we aren’t being let in on his knowledge. It’s a lot less campy than the movies.

Foundation by Isaac Asimov.
Reread, but I probably last read this 40+ years ago. As suspected, very little in the new TV series is here besides some place and character names and the fact that the psychohistorians could predict the future, at least if you looked far enough forward.

1 Like

As always, kudos to @Mary13 for doing the hard stuff, like making decisions! I’m fine with *Cloud Cuckoo Land.

After The Book of Longings I’ll be reading Klara and the Sun for my RL Book Club – which is still meeting mostly by Zoom.

Sounds perfect!

Had to check goodreads to remember what I read. Have been involved with 92 year old mothers broken hip Nov 17th, so have been distracted.

Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe- sweet story, light, very light reading
The President’s Daughter - Clinton / Patterson
Taste- my life through food - Stanley Tucci

Have this one waiting to be read ——— when I can focus
State of affairs - Clinton / Penney

2 Likes

Not reading much since I’ve had other things on my mind these last couple months.

Waiting for the next of the series of The Farseer Trilogy. My library subsystem has long waits and few copies of the books.

Meanwhile, since I’m in a reading slump, I’ve been rereading old favorites that don’t involve too much thinking and processing.

Just started on the first of the Antony Maitland series by Sara Woods, Bloody Instructions. A British barrister dealing with murder and mayhem but also with the court case.

Next up will be The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey.

And because I really need something very light, I’m also reading one of the Secret Seven books by Enid Blyton. Fun memories!

ETA: I’m not holding out hope about being able to join in February. Cloud Cuckoo Land is about a 21 week wait and as I’m traveling, an e-book is the only option. I’ll just circle back to the discussion after reading it.

2 Likes

Most of my Secret Seven books disappeared long ago - maybe one of my brothers has them. I suspect they have not aged well, but you never know. From time to time I reread one of the boarding schools stories for nostalgia.

1 Like

That is very true. A lot of the books that I loved to read haven’t aged well. I try to ignore the unpleasant bits but that doesn’t always work!

I have a limited collection of Enid Blyton books that I keep so that I can indulge in nostalgia. The boarding school ones and the Famous Five series are my favorites.

1 Like