Lois the Witch and A Christmas Carol - December CC Book Club Selection

I’m reading Cloud Cuckoo Land, as already mentioned.

Just finished The Survivors, by Alex Schulman. Very good.

Also read The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. Really enjoyed it.

And The Plot, by Jean Hanft Korelitz. Excellent.

1 Like

Seems like a good choice. I am 100+ (maybe even 200) on the waiting list of a big combined library system, but it says 65 copies on order. We’ll see.

When I checked at Thriftbooks, it was surprising to have many other books with same title but different author.

I’m currently reading The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti. It was her first novel, and it doesn’t have the richness or precision plotting of The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley. But it’s good. One off-putting thing–not really her fault–is that the novel opens with the young male protagonist living in an orphanage, trying to survive with a handful of friends suffering from mistreatment and neglect. He unexpectedly gets out and the on-the-road adventure begins. I felt like I was re-reading the first few chapters of This Tender Land.

3 Likes

Ah, thanks, I just learned something! I had never heard the expression “Cloud Cuckoo Land” and kept thinking it was a weird title for a book. Your comment sent me to look it up:

5 Likes

I had already seen this on Goodread:

What relation does this have to the Aristophanes play other than the title? How worthwhile would it be to read the play first?

Three answers:

1. No (summed up)

2. Aristophanes’ “The Birds” + Antonius Diogenes - Wikipedia
    “This Diogenes 2nd Century BC also did not write such a story but in ways Doerr’s book is interestingly themed more so by this IMO, yet by both. Regardless, its best to get to the very end of the story before making connections. You will find it much more interesting that way.”

3. “I read the play and it’s relatively short. I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary but it definitely adds perspective if your into that sort of thing which I am. I say yes, you will have a better framework.”

Hannah Tinti co-founded One Story. After reading The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley, I mentioned this to my librarian daughter. Guess what I got for Christmas that year: a one-year subscription. Fun!

3 Likes

Here you go: Cloud Cuckoo Land - February CC Book Club Selection

1 Like