Looking for a summer program abroad for high school graduates

does anyone know of any programs abroad that are specifically for high school graduates looking to do something for a few weeks in the summer before college?

Rick Steves took his first backpacking trip through Europe, on his own I think, the summer before college. Someone I know sent their son off on the ferries up the Alaska coast (from Seattle or Vancouver) for an adventure the summer before college. So many possibilities, if there’s time and a little money. Way better maturity experience than going on a “program”.

1 Like

probably true, but I doubt my wife will let our daughter just ride off into the sunset on her own (not sure I would either). food for thought, though.

Our kids (both D’s) did a lot of summer programs but they were during middle and high school both academic and other wise, but none abroad.
They really did like the ‘Wolfer’ course and still use that knowledge 15 years later. Wilderness First Responder by NOLS.

1 Like

CIEE has summer abroad programs but it seems late to be looking for this summer. High School Study Abroad, Exchange & Gap Year Programs - CIEE

Two young people travel together?

A friend’s daughter is going to Morocco with www.wheretherebedragons.com, looks amazing!

There are several summer abroad programs specifically designed for high school graduates there are many options like volunteering abroad, language immersion programs, cultural exchanges, or even adventure-based programs you must select based on your preferences, Do checkout this a friend of mine refer this for my son :globalsummersacademy.com

I personally suggest you should advise your son/daughter to involve in this kind of activity.
There are a lot of popular options including volunteer programs, language immersion courses, cultural exchanges, and environmental conservation projects. Children will gain new perspectives, and make lasting connections with people from diverse backgrounds. AFS Intercultural Programs, Projects Abroad, and Global Vision International (GVI). Also if they are interested in community service, adventure, or cultural immersion, that is also an option.

Yes indeed. My boy/girl twins went to Europe on their own for two weeks after HS graduation. It was a great experience, they flew into Pisa, went to Cinque Terre for a couple of nights then took the train to Nice where they rented an apartment and flew back from there. All very straightforward. There are plenty of 18 year olds staying in youth hostels and similar (in fact they were 17 and still had no problems).