Looking for a Super-Reach School [4.0 GPA, 34 ACT, English / creative writing]

You have a budget I assume? Wake is need aware so money matters.

Despite the silliness in that linked article, Emory was one of the first schools to pop in my mind for you… from the comments, I was not alone! I’m glad you are reconsidering it.

Also, if you can get past the rural location, Sewanee was another I thought may be a good fit for your interests. I would suggest it for any student with a strong interest in creative writing. Again, I am just reinforcing the feedback you already have from others.

URichmond, W&M and Davidson also crossed my mind. I see from your follow-up you’ve ruled some of these out. So my final answer is… Emory should be your reach! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ETA: While W&L is not high on your list, I have a rising junior Johnson Scholar should you have any questions about the school or programs. Best of luck!

7 Likes

We do have a budget. I am luckily very fortunate that it is large, but it would not qualify us for much if any need based aid. Still applying for FAFSA and such just in case!

Yes then not applying ED is good because if Wake is $88k as it is now and Furman $45k or $50k, your parents may direct your decision …understandably so. Best of luck.

Given your stats, you really could name your price - from $20k to Wake cost….or free if you get Johnson. Since you have TCU you might look at SMU. They have the full ride Presidential…

1 Like

What about Baylor?

In addition to Emory, what about WashU ? It is a reach but not a ridiculous reach and is near a city, in your size range, etc.

1 Like

Wash U is a great school but not exactly in the southeast.

Oh I just love Baylor! Great culture and a program I’m very interested in!

1 Like

Admittedly, I’ve never given much thought to it before, but I might look into it! Thank you!

However, an English or creative writing major may be somewhat more interested in a writing related job than the general college graduate population. If that is a likely preferred job and career option, then consider including a broad selection of general education courses on varied topics that could be relevant to business, technical, or other commercial writing tasks.

2 Likes

While this isn’t a super reach, given what you like, have you considered Rhodes?

4 Likes

I’m losing track…but what about Rice?

4 Likes

I also thought about Rice once people started throwing Texas schools in the mix. Its obviously a great school , but TBH its not known for its English department. But its a very strong school so would think all departments are going to be fine.

3 Likes

Yes! I love the campus, the feel, and its programs!

1 Like

This site emphasizes highly selective colleges of the type you may be seeking through your question here:

While this list might be somewhat too diffuse in some ways, an indication of the general strength of the suggestions is that they include Kenyon, along with several other colleges especially notable for the study of English and creative writing. Emory, which houses the archives of Salman Rushdie, is among the schools that appear, as also would be expected.

1 Like

Emory was my first thought. Furman might be another fine choice.

I’m throwing two curveballs. What about CMU? Not just a tech school. World class FA programs. Their FA alumni is literally a who’s who for writing and acting. Do a little research.

Your profile mirrors my son’s. He ended up at FSU for digital media. It’s in the Communications school. He loves it. He’s worked on documentaries, written articles and done marketing. Works on films with film school students. FSU’s film school is a T20 program. Seems like a lot of opportunities for the creative types.

Good honors program and very inexpensive with the OOS waiver. Beautiful, walkable campus. Seems smaller than its enrollment. Happy kids too.

6 Likes

Most of the schools that came to mind (Richmond, Wake, Sewanee, Davidson, Emory) have already been mentioned here several times, but I’ll also mention Elon - I don’t know anything specific about English or theater there, but it checks most of the other boxes and would likely give merit aid.

1 Like

We liked Elon a lot, and it would be a nice safety. They give $7500 in merit upon acceptance for those with high stats. Then you can apply to fellows and scholars programs which come with additional merit money.

I thought this student wanted to be nearer a larger city…and Elon doesn’t check that box.

OP stated “In/near a city or town.” I’m not entirely clear on what size(s) of city/town that would indicate, so I thought it worth a mention - particularly if Sewanee et al. are also under consideration. The Elon/Burlington area is certainly more town than city, but it’s not far from Greensboro and less than an hour from the Research Triangle. And as I said, it “checks most of the other boxes.”

2 Likes