Looking for info about McCullough and Randall Research University of Alabama

My daughter was selected as a finalist for Randall (invited for the in-person visit in a few weeks) but was also accepted into McCullough Scholars. She eventually wants to attend med school so she’s trying to learn more about both before making any decisions. Randall seems more computer science based which may not be the best fit? If anyone has any firsthand info they can share, much appreciated!

1 Like

Hi - My daughter is in both programs. She’s one of 4 students from her year in both. PM me. I’m happy to answer any questions you have or put them in touch.

2 Likes

I was also accepted to McCollough and invited to interview for RRSP. The thing about Randall is that though it has some grounds in computer science, it’s more about performing research with the aid of computers/technology (which is lots of research these days). At least that’s my understanding. Students of any major can participate. Congratulations to your daughter!

2 Likes

I’m interested in your take as well on being in both programs. I sent you a pm. :slightly_smiling_face:

My son will be entering college in August 2024. We’re visiting both UA and UAB next week. Interested in McCollough and Randall programs. How difficult is it to do both? Both programs seem pretty intense. And I was thinking that there is a living-learning community component. How would you handle housing if doing both?

My daughter is in both Randall and McCollough. There are around 2-4 kids each year in both. There are also some that combine one of above with Blount or Fellows, but you can’t do 3. You also can’t do 2 that have an LLC component (so you can’t do McCollough and Blount). Randall doesn’t have an LLC component, so if a student is in both they would just live in the McCollough block at Ridgecrest (which is the honors dorm so a lot of Randall kids live there, too).

Freshman year Randall and McCollough each require 1 class per semester. It isn’t so much intense as far as workload, but it does take up almost half of your class load credit hours wise each semester. For that reason, it can be difficult to do both minors (because each of those programs is an academic minor) and still graduate on time unless the student is coming in with enough AP or dual credit classes. I’m happy to answer more questions if you’d like to PM me.

My daughter loves both programs, and she has made great friends in both cohorts.

How many years has your daughter done Randall? Considering it for son. What would be your or your daughter’s description of the program? What sort of research has she done? Any advice on application or interview process?

I will send you a PM