Randall Research Class of 2026

I thought I would start a thread for anyone who is or whose son or daughter is applying to the Randall Research Program for the class of 2026.

S22 has been admitted, applied to honors, and submitted his application to Randall Research Scholars.

Tennessee
ACT 34
4.35 weighted GPA/3.95 unweighted
IB candidate
NMSF (likely NMF)
President of High School Robotics Team

Best of luck to all applicants.

1 Like

Thank you for starting this thread!

My daughter has been admitted and has also applied to honors. She should receive her decision next week. She will be applying to Randall Research Scholars over the Thanksgiving break. She’s also a NMSF.

Hey everyone. I am a senior in RRSP majoring in Computer Engineering (ECE) and I would be happy to answer any questions on the experience or the application process. We also have information and some of our past research presentations on https://rrsp.ua.edu/.

1 Like

What has been the highlight of the program for you, and how structured is the program in general? Thanks and congratulations on your successes.

Thank you for offering to answer questions. Does the RR program fulfill the requirements of the Honors College?

My favorite thing about the program has been the community of highly motivated students working together and helping each other. Randalls has been my family away from home and I have really enjoyed that.

In terms of structure, the first year, students take a seminar class where they learn about computers, coding, and research. The goal is not to make coders, but rather to learn how to apply the resources available to research. You also learn how to get up to speed quickly which is helpful when starting a new project. The next two year, students take research seminar where they work on professionalism as well as start or continue a research project. These four seminars can be taken in succession or whenever fits your schedule.
In terms of classes, the program is a minor and requires 20 credit hours.

1 Like

@Dis3456 Yes. The minor in the Randall Research Scholars Program fulfills the requirements of the Honors College, so you would not need to worry about any of those.

I feel it is also worth mentioning that RRS 100 and RRS 101 also count as CS100 if you need that even though the programing language is different.

1 Like

Does anyone know if invitations to interview have gone out yet?

I have not heard of any invitations as yet (that does not mean that they have not gone out). If you look at threads in past years, they appear to go out in February.

1 Like

My daughter’s close friend already has a fellows zoom interview today for UA, so I was curious.

They told me invitations would go out on February 1 when I called last week!

2 Likes

We are getting very excited to hear. After what feels like an extremely long application/decision process, my daughter is inching toward a decision. If she is selected for RRS, I think that she will be at UA next fall!

Good luck. We are hoping for an invitation.

Same here. UA has done an excellent job recruiting.

Did anyone receive an invitation to interview today?

We have not yet heard anything. For what it is worth, other invitations have gone out around 4:30 CST this year. We are hoping to hear something soon!

1 Like

Nothing here. Daughter applied as a CS major, accepted into stem to MBA, nmsf, 4.0 unweighted GPA, 36 ACT, 16 AP classes, good extracurriculars, etc. She asked her friends that applied (similar stats) and none have heard anything yet.

1 Like

My daughter also has not heard anything. At this point, I think that if she is selected as a RRS that she will be enrolling at UA next fall. Without it, I think that she will be attending elsewhere.

Just out of curiosity, does your daughter have a potential roommate yet? My daughter is also NMSF, and she has connected with a few others through mycollegeroomie.

Hi there! One of her best friends is also NMSF and Bama is a top contender for her as well. I’m not sure if she’s explored the roommate site or not. I’m guessing she is waiting to see where she ends up. Has your daughter had any luck on the site?

DS22 just received message that he was not selected. Apparently, they received many more applicants than they were expecting this year, “six times” the number of qualified applicants. He is disappointed.

1 Like