Losing scholarship

<p>What’s the impact of having a W on your transcript? Is it only that potential employers will see it? Does it figure into GPA at all?</p>

<p>where is everyone getting their students’ grade info? are these posted yet, or are you just going on what your students are saying to you?</p>

<p>Student tab on my bama, left column student grades, fall 2012 in drop down menu…some grades are posted already but I don’t think they have to be until Friday?</p>

<p>DS does not have any midterm grades posted yet either.</p>

<p>And I concur with who ever said that kids coming in with many AP/DE credits are hitting the ground running on many levels. and the profs do not always realize that those kids are freshman in the upper level classes. So not the same level of “watching out” for the freshman exists in those classes. The prof’s assume that the students are already seasoned and used to the routine. </p>

<p>I still think that having a 1 credit honors class for students coming into the college and using more than say 20-25 AP/DE credits could benefit from a specific “first year” honors class to address some of the disconnect for them. A “fill in the blanks” type of class!! </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>The impact of one “W” or two "W"s on a transcript is not an issue. To have a transcript bespeckled with them could be, but unless you are going on to professional school, or transferring it is not of big issue. Where a single “W” can cause a problem even early on, is if your student is trying to get into an in school program that is competitive or transfer to another school within the university itself. If it is a selective process, the courses completed will be examined and also "W’s and repeat courses even if they do not show up in the GPA. You may not “look” as good as other competitiors for those spots who do not have those issues on the transcript.</p>

<p>“strleona helmsleyenous”</p>

<p>WHAT?</p>

<p>haha</p>

<p>Leona Hemsley (crazy driven) level strenuous, I believe.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the support and great advice. Not looking forward to the end of the week and the rest of the grades…</p>

<p>Don’t worry about a W or even a couple of W’s. Employers don’t care. They look at GPA.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Seriously. After all the times I fussed at my oldest S about his grades and their impact on his transcript, he is now working in his first post-graduation job and his employer did not ask for copies of his transcript.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’ve been concerned about my D with regards to this, especially for a 300 level course she is taking. They don’t take their mid-term until next week. Other than that, they only have reading quizzes that cover a large amount of weekly reading. I’ve suggested that D visit with the prof before the mid-term in order to stress that she is a first-year student despite her hours classification and ask if he has suggestions regarding the prep for and taking of the test.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I made the same recommendation to my son re: his 300 level classes. I hope he takes the advice. I know that he wants to go in and do well, and not ask for assistance. And he does not want to sound like he is asking for special treatment. But I told him that if he went to the prof, and explained that he was a freshman that just wanted to do well, ask the prof for advice about prepping for an exam, that was not asking for special treatment. Instead, it was showing initiative. Not sure he agreed. We will see!</p>

<p>It’s interesting to me how not conferencing with a professor equates to rugged individualism in the minds of so many students and is worn by them, metaphorically, as a badge of pride. My son’s high school is run on a schedule that simulates a college schedule. Teachers are expected to hold office hours and students are acculturated to the notion that voluntarily conferencing with teachers is what the smartest students do to avail themselves of the best resources in their quest for success.</p>

<p>This has paid huge dividends for my son at UA. He’s a 4.0+ student who doesn’t think twice about approaching his professors for help and would feel that he wasn’t getting his money’s worth if he operated otherwise.</p>

<p>malanai- my son was really good about it in HS too. But taking the CC courses, adn this year does not seem to be using that strategy. It is rather frustrating. </p>

<p>I continue to advise, he continues to decide what advice he will take!</p>

<p>I hear you, vlines. The beatings will continue until morale improves. :)</p>

<p>Hang in there.</p>

<p>Still no mid-term grades posted for my son.</p>

<p>

Nice …that sounds great!</p>

<p>vlines~don’t forget that midterm grades only have to posted for 100 and 200 level classes.</p>

<p>^^ And it looks like Oct 17 is the last day a mid-term grade can be posted. So there is another week…</p>