Low GPA for Cal Poly

So I’m looking around at schools, and I came to Cal Poly SLO. So far, really liking the school (at least by the website). Highly ranked in architecture. I’m looking to go into Landscape Architecture, but when I calculate my Cal Poly (Weighted and capped) GPA, I get:
3.33 Freshman year
3.67 Sophomore Year
4.0 Junior Year (currently a junior)

Test Scores: 31 ACT

I’m out of state- wasn’t really going to look at CSU, but then found it had a top 15 program in Architecture, and it was better than every UC in Architecture- and cheaper! And very highly ranked anyways. But it’s not just about rankings…

Anyways, do I have shot at Cal Poly SLO?

Thanks.

Cal Poly SLO uses 9-11th grades with an 8 semester cap on honors points for AP/IB and CSU transferable DE courses taken 10-11th grades. HS designated Honors courses do not get the extra weighting for OOS applicants. Also SLO uses MCA points instead of the eligibility index like all the other Cal states.

Calculate your SLO GPA here with grades from the a-g courses taken 9-11th only:

https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/eligibility-index

https://mca.netlify.com/

Freshman profile for the College of Architecture and Environmental Design 2019

SLO GPA: 3.88 – 4.25
ACT Total: 25 – 31
SAT : 1250 – 1440
Number Applied: 2,568
Percent Accepted: 34.70%

Thanks Gumbymom. I calculated that GPA with Rogerhub, including 9th grade. Making sure to only include APs, that’s the GPA I got.

I got an MCA of a little over 4200. If I take action now, I might be able to bump it up maybe 100.

It looks like Cal Poly SLO might be a bit of reach, unless they see me as a diverse candidate (far away from California). Cal Poly Pomona looks much more like a match. Will keep my options open I guess.

Some MCA scores from last year for OOS applicants:

Architecture
OOS
Accepted

Architecture
OOS
Accepted

Architecture
MCA around 4700
3.97 UW GPA
OOS
Accepted

Architecture
MCA 4450
4.2 W GPA capped
1450 SAT
OOS
accepted

Son got waitlisted for Architecture
MCA 4456
CP GPA 3.6
ACT 33
OOS

Make sure you have at least a years credit in fine arts. Many out of staters don’t know about that requirement.

You are talking about two very different things, not Apples and Oranges, but Apples and Kittens, when you’re talking about Architecture and Landscape Architecture. Your stats are almost certainly too low for Architecture, but may be competitive for what you are actually asking about…Landscape Architecture.

@eyemgh @schoolstruggles

Boy, I missed that “Landscape Architecture” instead of Architecture.

Here is one MCA score from last year:
Landscape Architecture
MCA approx 4500
OOS
Accepted

@eyemgh is right that Landscape Architecture may not be as competitive. Unfortunately, the stats listed above are by College and not major. Far more Architecture applicants vs. Landscape Architecture applicants so the numbers are skewed.

Definitely worth an application if SLO is one of your preferred colleges.

@Gumbymom @eyemgh

Thanks! Yep, I’m learning much toward landscape architecture than architecture. Definitely will send an application over to SLO.

@Gatormaam
I will have 4 years of music- but I also have a semester of art, and will take more.

1 Like

@schoolstruggles: 4 years of music will fulfill the VPA requirement. No need to take any more Art courses unless you have an interest.