Lower Intensity colleges in NJ & nearby

Here is a link to Public LACs in the Northeast, this list includes Ramapo. Take a look at St Marys of Maryland. It offers Marine Biology in a smaller college environment and the Chesapeake Bay. Members – COPLAC. Some find its location a little too isolated.

3 Likes

We live in Lancaster, PA and a lot of kids here love West Chester University. Not sure if you have considered that?

West Chester is liked where we are, too, but I got scared off because of limited housing.

My friend’s ‘surprise’ medical cost while child was at college was physical therapy. He hurt his knee, was able to have the surgery at home on a break, and she spent some time looking up the best docs in Buffalo that took her insurance (I think it was Blue Cross), but turns out that it was out of network and they had to pay 100% for out of network non-emergency.

I bought the school’s insurance for my daughter because she was an athlete and wanted coverage where she was 2000 miles away. It didn’t cost that much and was worth it to me, even though she didn’t use it for much more than flu coverage (had it twice) and other minor things.

2 Likes

Yes, ER for a true emergency is usually covered. But your kid isn’t going to want to come home as they recover from an injury – they’ll need a local doctor, PT, etc. Or if they need a local doc for a chronic condition (including mental health).

NJ has a lot of plans that have tons of docs and access – in NJ only! Unless your insurance is part of a national plan (most likely if your employer has many US locations), you may find yourself limited. Several of my friends had tales of woe to tell. With that said, most of my colleagues found the plans offered by school to be cheaper than the corporate alternative and very comprehensive. They moved their kids on and off the company plan as needed.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of a national plan except military. All insurance is state supervised and approved. Even Blue Cross plans are state plans. The insurance company may process claims the same for every state, but the policy filings are state by state and one state may require more benefits than another.

Your Blue Cross plan in NJ isn’t going to be the same in NY or Colo or Cal. The insurer may consider you in-network, but they don’t HAVE to and it is unlikely they are going to go out and get a bunch of docs to sign up for their networks.

As someone who has purchased corporate multi- state plans, I can promise you that national plans exist. Most include both out of network and PPO components. They are generally much more expensive because it’s virtually impossible to negotiate network pricing so broadly. Our employees liked Aetna best, UnitedHealthcare and even BCBS have versions too. (And this is also why I tended to hear of gaps, including for out of state students!)

4 Likes

Hi! Just wanted to comment that my daughter just graduated from West Chester, and lived in university housing for 3 of her 4 years – her first year in a “traditional” dorm, sophomore and senior years in university-affiliated housing; junior year she was at home due to COVID. We never had a problem securing housing for her. I just checked with her, and she said her friends who lived in university apartments also had no issues. Off-campus housing could be more or less expensive, depending on what you’re looking for, but friends who were willing to share rooms seemed to be able to find apartments that were reasonably priced. Happy to discuss if you would like more info. :slightly_smiling_face:

ETA: great school, btw. She loved it there, and I have a lot of respect for the administration and faculty.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I had given up hope. D23’s guidance counselor recommended it for her, though, so it might be worth looking at it more carefully.

We visited Susquehanna University last week when we were in the area. D23 liked it a lot and can now see the benefits of a smaller college.

5 Likes

Have you considered Lycoming? Similar in enrollment and ranking to Susquehanna. Also, I believe known to be generous with merit. It’s less than an hour away from Selinsgrove in Williamsport, home of the little league world series. Much more of an in-town setting than Susquehanna.

1 Like

It’s a Rutgers financial aid plan specific to NJ residents and based on the adjusted gross income. It’s called the Scarlet Guarantee.

@zedferstic what special program are you asking about?

Following this thread with my bright but not terribly organized or motivated D24 in mind. We are in NJ and I’d love to find the right fit for her at an in-state public. I think she’d get in to Rutgers NB, but I think the size and multiple campuses and RU screw would just overwhelm her.

D20’s high school bestie is at TCNJ and while the academics sound amazing and nurturing, she complains that the campus empties out every weekend. I know D24 will want somewhere with a vibrant social life.

I know nothing about Rowan, but it is on my list to learn more about this year. Our high school sends a few students there every year and they all seem to like it.

We had seriously considered York for my D20. I liked it quite a bit, and it was very affordable --unless things have changed, your D’s SAT scores would earn her auto-merit of $10k per year off of an already affordable tuition. Ultimately, the surrounding area was a little too quiet for my (city-loving) girl, but otherwise, it was a solid contender. Keeping it in mind for D24.

1 Like

I have heard the area surrounding York is questionable. If it’s just run down, I wouldn’t mind. But I would be concerned if there were safety concerns.

My daughter won’t consider TCNJ, maybe for the sole reason it has NJ in its name.

1 Like

There was definitely a “rough” side of town (and also a cute part).

My son enjoyed his time at TCNJ, was active in Greek life and never came home on weekends, 90 minutes away, but he can find a party anywhere. My higher stats daughter went to UDel, definitely more of a party school, maybe even more than Rutgers (only 2 of my kids attended Rutgers but all have gone to parties since it’s 40 minutes away).

1 Like

How about CT? Many really like Fairfield University or Quinnipiac.

I believe that Ramapo came on to my radar from a virtual college fair for those with Learning Differences (my son has recently been diagnosed with ADHD). Based on your description of your daughter, executive functioning could be a challenge area for her as well, so this could be something to look in to. Also we are now on their mailing list and apparently rated #1 on Niche for dorms…if you are trying to talk her in to a visit.

2 Likes