Lower Intensity colleges in NJ & nearby

I’ve heard ramapo empties out on weekends too, my daughter’s friend just graduated. My best friend from HS went there, I remember being impressed with the dorms even back then.

1 Like

CT would work. I would consider $30 K a year but not much higher.

I am afraid I don’t know the costs or merit situations but Fairfield and Quinnipiac are both common destinations for students looking for a less selective but respected college in CT. Others include Trinity in Hartford and Connecticut College - both are somewhat more selective. For some programs people like University of New Haven. Of course there is also UConn but think expensive for out of staters.

1 Like

My kids got UCONN down to about $35,000 with merit, 3.9/33/34 act, same with Quinnipiac.

4 Likes

Just wanted to throw out the names of a couple more schools that you may want to consider:

• Gordon (MA): The bio major offers a concentration in marine biology, and its Academic Success Center is available for all, whether students have documented disabilities or not.
  • Simmons (MA): Small, all-women’s college in Boston.
  • Rider (NJ): I don’t think this one has been mentioned yet, but in addition to having a major in marine sciences, it seems as though they have several different systems set up to help support students from their first year onwards (Academic Success Center, Student Navigation Office, and if there’s a documented disability (including ADHD), Student Accessibility and Support Services.
  • Kean (NJ)
  • Salisbury (MD): Offers environmental biology, marine sciences, and environmental studies majors. The science work seems to take advantage of the close proximity to water.
2 Likes

Gordon MA seems pretty religious based on what I know. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for or not, but good to know

1 Like

Second the mention of Salisbury. Knew a few NJ folks for whom Salisbury was cheaper than the in-state options. The environmental programs there are very strong, and Env Studies in particular with a strong sense of community, great mentoring, a “high-touch” environment that really allows kids to find their way and shine. They have outdoor freshman orientation programs, including one at Assateague natl seashore. Collaboration between envl programs is good, helping students to find the “right” major. Awesome summer program kayaking through the Chesapeake. Freshman Living Learning Community focused on the environment where a small group of kids live together in a dorm and take a couple of classes together … I have heard great things about all this.

5 Likes

I appreciate your thoughtful reply. Thank you very much.

What is the area around Salisbury like? Is it a good area for walking and riding a bike around, exploring, etc?

The university is in a town of about 70,000 people. Not a college town, but has all the sorts of shops or restaurants that one would expect. The campus is surrounded by neighborhoods, with US Highway 13 running between the academic campus and the sports fields, and a range of shops and restaurants on Hwy 13. They have the Seagull Century, which is a well regarded regional bike ride in October, thousands of bikers come to ride. It is FLAT, and easy to get out of town and ride long distances on small country roads. The bike ride to Assateague National Seashore is about 40 miles (the freshman orientation program: “Bikes, Beaches, and Beyond” introduces students to biking and camps at Assateague). There are a few nice parks for walking on trails, but overall the Eastern Shore is less a hiking area. But if you like to canoe or (not whitewater) kayak, few places in the East are better, and lots of flat empty roads for exploring on a bike, leading to small fishing towns on the Chesapeake Bay, beaches, etc. And of course, Ocean City.

2 Likes

City of Salisbury MD - Capital of the Eastern Shore

Environmental Studies Major | Salisbury University

1 Like

Another college that you might want to consider is U. of Maryland - Eastern Shore. It’s an HBCU that offers a number of programs that might interest your daughter, including a dual degree Bachelors/Masters in Marine Sciences. 78.7% of classes have fewer than 20 students, and only 1% of classes have more than 50 students. This page provides more information about its location, 13 miles from Salisbury.

3 Likes

Based on your post here, I’m going to repost on this thread, that way any responses to you will be easier to locate than on the Class of '23 thread. For those who weren’t reading, here are some of the posts (besides the linked one):

5 Likes