Loyola Increases Tuition

<p><a href="http://www.loyolamaroon.com/editorial_and_opinions/tuition_increase_concerns_loyola_student-1.1355955%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.loyolamaroon.com/editorial_and_opinions/tuition_increase_concerns_loyola_student-1.1355955&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Loyola has increased tuition for next year by $1600. This seems like a bad move on their part. Loyola is on my shortlist of schools, and like with many, money for college is very tight. I thought Loyno was a bit pricey, and the $6400 increase over four years is enough to make me think twice about attending. What do you guys think about this rise in tuition?</p>

<p>It is discouraging, but I think you would encounter these increases wherever you go. You are smart to extrapolate that rate of increase out over 4 years, though. That has been our experience. They have a stated goal to limit annual increases to 7% - maybe 6%, I can't recall - and they have made those increases like clockwork every year. It is even more painful if you have a renewable grant; the grant stays the same, but tuition increases making the percentage increase to you even greater. And they seem to have stopped giving you a break based on your first enrollment year -- another effective increase. You can get more control of your costs after freshman year by moving off campus and getting off the meal plan. Rents, compared to other college communities, are pretty reasonable in New Orleans. It is still the Big Easy in that regard.</p>

<p>I was surprised at the cost of Loyola as well. A coworker told me his son got a 20K schollie to Loyola. I thought, my goodness, what does it cost nowadays? His response,
28K. </p>

<p>But his son is in a prelaw program where you can go right to law school after your third year if your grades are good enough.</p>

<p>I think that's worth it right there.</p>

<p>You could probably find cheap rent around there, but be careful. College kids are frequently mugged going to and from campus at Tulane, and Loyola is right next door. Good thing about both Loyola and Tulane, they are on the streetcar line. Try to get a place near a bus stop, so you can transfer to the streetcar. Or even a place on the streetcar line itself. You can take the streetcar to the grocery, et cetera, so there's really no need for a car. That will save you money right there.</p>

<p>Frequently mugged?! Really? Whoa, not the nicest thing to hear about a school... Does this really happen often?</p>

<p>lily, </p>

<p>Loyola feels safe to me whenever I have been there. The campus police are very visible on foot, on bikes and in patrol cars. You can tell they make assessments of everyone they see -- kind of look you up and down - even old people, like me. The neighborhoods within a few blocks also feel safe. I think a lot of the crime is specific to certain neighborhoods. </p>

<p>Take a look at the Crime Maps that the NOPD publishes for precise data and locations of crime. Loyola is in Police District 2 if you search by boundry:</p>

<p>New</a> Orleans Police Department : NOPD Home</p>

<p>Tulane students are more frequently mugged than Loyola students. Tulane's frat row is on Broadway, and the muggers target that area. Loyola is farther removed from that area.</p>

<p>New Orleans is just a dangerous city, so it's best to be careful when coming down here. And yes, crime is specific to certain neighborhoods, but the violence unfortunately spills into all areas of the city.</p>

<p>Wow, my girlfriend wrote that! Small world..</p>