Mac for an Engineering Freshman?

<p>Ok, I will need to get a laptop for Tech by the end of the month. I am thinking about getting a MacBook Pro or a Sony Vaio Z. I know that a tablet is required for engineering students but I'll just get a USB tablet attachment. Back to the main question, would it be wise for a freshman engineer to get a MacBook Pro? I've heard about BootCamp, so I'm thinking that if I get a Mac, I'll simply dualboot it and run Windows along with OSX. Would there be any problems with getting a Mac??? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>If you dual boot you should be fine, although you’ll probably look a little out of place in the freshman engineering classes.</p>

<p>Also, keep in mind that you get Windows 7 Enterprise free through the engineering school, so don’t bother buying Windows beforehand. You probably already know this, but if you’re getting a Mac, you’re paying a premium for the brand. There are a couple of ways to dual boot OSX on PCs as well.</p>

<p>Can’t speak about requirements, how well it works with engineering or anything. But heed this warning…</p>

<p>Well, not really a warning. But know you’ll have to purchase your own Windows 7 or XP disc. Most people think they can chug in their old XP disc into Bootcamp, but bootcamp only works with Service Pack 2 on the XP disc. Now, its possible to do something called slipstreaming to “update” the old disc. But unless you have XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, or Windows 7; you’ll need to buy a new OSX. </p>

<p>Besides that, I bought a Mac and love it to death; no problems what-so-ever.</p>

<p>“although you’ll probably look a little out of place in the freshman engineering classes”</p>

<p>You’ll be the cool kid on the block. ;)</p>

<p>“if you’re getting a Mac, you’re paying a premium for the brand”</p>

<p>I always pondered this and thought it to be true, so I decided to try to perform some research on it. It actually turns out that if you find computers that directly match the specifications of the Macs, the price actually comes out even - sometimes actually more expensive for the PC (such as the Sony equivalent that I found). (This is before the 2010 Mac’s came out.)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s simply not true. The cheapest MacBook Pro is a cool $1080, it has:</p>

<ul>
<li>A Core 2 Duo Processor</li>
<li>4GB of RAM</li>
<li>250 GB HDD</li>
<li>13" Screen</li>
<li>Decent Graphics Card</li>
</ul>

<p>On the other hand, you head on over to NewEgg and you can pick up this: [Newegg.com</a> - Acer Aspire AS5741-5763 NoteBook Intel Core i3 350M(2.26GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD](<a href=“Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com”>Acer Laptop Aspire Intel Core i3 1st Gen 350M (2.26GHz) 4GB Memory 320GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 15.6" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit AS5741-5763 - Newegg.com) for $630. Its specs:</p>

<ul>
<li>Core i3 Processor (more advanced than Duo)</li>
<li>4GB of RAM</li>
<li>320GB HDD</li>
<li>15.6" Screen</li>
<li>Integrated Graphics Card (worse than the Mac’s)</li>
</ul>

<p>That’s nearly $500 extra for what amounts to almost the same computer. This gap gets more ridiculous as you move into the higher-end models, you can end up paying $1000 more for an Apple logo LED on your computer.</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up albert92. Everyone else’s posts really helped too.</p>

<p>Battery life, quality of material used, enclosure, is HD speed 7200 rpm, does system have programs that monitor every function within *with detail<a href=“in%20given%20moment%20should%20computer%20use%20dedicated%20GPU%20vs%20integrated,%20should%20it%20continue%20or%20stop%20spinning%20HD,%20etc.”>/i</a>, the list goes on. I did my research, and with that in mind, I will also say I specified this towards the 2009 Macbook models. Furthermore, tests show that i3 is not necessarily better than the Core2 Duo - it’s spotty.</p>

<p>You have to dive deeper than a typical consumer would into the specifications. Details about the screen, about its resolution, material used within the screen (Apple focuses on using green products for its screens, and it uses LED, does this computer?). Move onto the hard drive, specifications within that. Move onto the memory, specifications within that (I would think them to be the same for the memory). Slot-loading optical drive vs. ejection. Cooling system. List goes on.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Macs do have fantastic batteries, but four hours should be enough as it is. If you really need more battery life, an extra battery isn’t that expensive.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The standard Macbook Pro HDD is 5400 rpm. You can pay extra for a faster HDD if you want.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>None of this makes any sense at all.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes it is. The processor in the computer I linked to is some 25% faster than the lowest-end Macbook Pro’s processor.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m not trying to dissuade anyone from getting a Mac if they want one, but it is important to be aware that you are paying a lot more for the Mac than a comparable PC. It’s just how Apple makes their money, if you want an Apple you’re going to have to pay more. They are well-put together machines, but this doesn’t mean that the majority of PC laptops aren’t also well-made. On the contrary, most PC manufacturers purposely strive for a polished product loaded with features because that’s how they differentiate themselves from other PC manufacturers.</p>

<p>Sorry, I wasn’t meaning to turn this into a debate, initially it was only to poke since I did agree (but I poked because I only agreed to an extent).</p>

<p>I’m pretty much just playing devil’s advocate at this point:</p>

<p>It does make sense, but I’ll be clearer. Given the tasks at hand that a user may be performing with his computer, are there applications that control whether to use the dedicated GPU (= more intensive) or the integrated Intel graphics processor (= more battery life)? How quickly or intuitively can the computer detect that the hard drive should stop running at any given time. These were the two that I meant.</p>

<p>Depending on various stress tests, it’s almost like half and half. Core2 Duo comes out on top for about half of the stress tests, i3 comes out on top for about half of the stress tests. </p>

<p>I do agree that you are paying more for a bit of the brand name & have always thought this, however after further research it didn’t seem as MUCH of a “you’re paying for brand name” kind of deal, as you would for say True Religion jeans vs. no names - now there, you are definitely paying for the brand name. There are also other considerations, such as that Apple produces most all of its products & materials & programs. Creating its own OS takes a lot of money, and unlike Windows, it doesn’t make much in selling it to other parties so it has to make up for this money elsewhere. Its enclosure alone should account for a bit of the price differential.</p>

<p>An extra battery usually runs around $150. As well, that extra battery combined still wouldn’t match the battery life of Macbook, and furthermore, now you’re carrying two batteries - and you can’t even run all “8” hours simultaneously, you’ll have to shut off/hibernate to switch.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Both computers use integrated graphics cards, neither one has a dedicated discrete graphics chip.</p>

<p>The hard drive generally spins when it needs to access data from the hard drive. It’s not like there’s some super complicated algorithm which determines </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The Core i3 achieves higher benchmark scores than the Core 2 Duo. It’s also smaller and uses less power. I don’t know what stress tests you’re referring to.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>a. An extra battery is like $50
b. That’s true, you do have to consider how much battery life you need. I haven’t run into too many issues with battery life considering there’s usually a power outlet in nearly every classroom, but it can be an issue for others.</p>

<p>Mac GPU may share the memory allotted to its use, but it has a separate standing Nvidia GPU plus an Intel integrated graphics unit. Instead of using both simultaneously, it switches between the two depending on what the user is doing.</p>

<p>There’s no reason to argue that there must be a complicated algorithm behind it all. Many computers simply do not stop spinning the hard drive when it is not in use, especially after it has been used. Others that do implement a mechanism to stop spinning HD when idle have a long lag period.</p>

<p>It depends on what you’re testing. Multi-tasking and such the Core i3 destroys, specifically due to its hyper threading. Stress tests that examine other specific areas of processing, the core 2 duo matches up. I don’t remember the links, I looked at it a long time ago. I remember a number of benchmarks where the core 2 duo outperformed.</p>

<p>Actually, thinking about it, a battery could be about $50 I guess if you’re buying from a third party. I have never seen a battery go for $50 buying direct from the computer brand (HP, Dell, etc.). $100 is probably the lowest I’ve seen, $150 is what I typically see.</p>

<p>Anyway, this will be my last post, I didn’t want to turn this into a debate.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You’re clearly mistaken, it’s right on Apple’s website:
“MacBook Pro gives you more options for high-performance graphics, starting with the new NVIDIA GeForce 320M integrated graphics processor in the 13-inch model.”</p>

<p>If you get the 15" models you move into discrete graphics card territory, but at that point the price jumps another $500.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’ve never heard of this. In Windows you can actually specify how long to wait before turning off the HDD. There’s also programs you can download which give you greater control (although you can seriously decrease the lifespan of your computer if you don’t know what you’re doing).</p>

<p>I think your taking a risk if you get a mac as an engineering major. I know Mac vs PC is a personal thing but there is some engineering software that is just not compatible with Mac. I suppose if you can “successfully” dual boot with Windows you can get away with it, but that begs the question in the first place, why a Mac? Why go through all that trouble? </p>

<p>I think the Engineering Department officially “supports” Windows 7 now but I’ve been using Windows 7 for 6 months now and love it. After using XP for almost 10 years you’ll notice the difference. Most of everything than ran on XP will run on 7. </p>

<p>Your getting ripped off anyway, don’t fall into the Mac hype. I just read an article the other day about how they just recently found all these security vulnerabilities in Mac OS.</p>

<p><a href=“http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_wguy/20100723/tc_ytech_wguy/ytech_wguy_tc3221[/url]”>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_wguy/20100723/tc_ytech_wguy/ytech_wguy_tc3221&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If you want to deal with a closed system and only Apple approved stuff then its fine. But if your in a computer related major or use a lot of software then it’s questionable.</p>

<p>Believe it or not, Macs are somewhat popular at tech so you won’t be out of place. But the notion of it being “cool” to have Mac just isn’t true, just like it’s not necessarily “cool” to have a PC too. It’s just preference.</p>

<p>

Lol, eh anyway, thought I’d join the “devil’s advocate” side
[Hey</a>, Lauren! Is Apple’s 17-Inch MacBook Pro Expensive?](<a href=“http://technologizer.com/2009/03/31/hey-lauren-is-apples-17-inch-macbook-pro-expensive/]Hey”>Hey, Lauren! Is Apple's 17-Inch MacBook Pro Expensive?)</p>

<p>This is 2009, and he was talking about the 2009 models after all.</p>

<p>My computer doesn’t have that kind of setting (to specify when to shut off HDD), and it’s a pretty well-off PC. I also have HP TouchSmart and many other desktops (that I don’t specifically own, they’re my parents’) and they don’t have them either - and HP TouchSmart is a very well-off computer. If they do have them, it’s not user friendly.</p>

<hr>

<p>From the Yahoo! article:

</p>

<p>Yeah but it defeats the notion that Mac OS has no security problems at all (one of it’s selling points) and is a very secure system. </p>

<p>Besides in any operating system just as in life, security only goes as far as you take it. If you secure Windows correctly your fine. Most people don’t secure their systems or don’t know how and Windows being 90% of the market has the most “known” security flaws to exploit leaving those large amount of unsecure Windows users open to malware, viruses, and other things that are preventable. </p>

<p>True you don’t need an anti-virus for Mac, but you also don’t need one for Linux/Ubuntu which is free.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The PC you’re using is irrelevant, it’s build into Windows 7. Go to Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Hard Drive</p>

<p>

<a href=“ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs”>ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs

</a></p>

<p>It’s not really designed to be “user-friendly” because it’s not a setting that the average user should ever have to bother with.</p>

<p>Mac laptops don’t have keyboards with numpads.</p>

<p>Ok, I think I’ll just get the Sony Vaio Z. Since the engineering department supports Windows only, I wouldn’t really use OSX. Plus with the money that I will be able to spend, I can configure the Sony with an i5 processor, a 256 gb SSD, 6 gigs of ram, and maybe a 1920 X 1080 resolution screen which seems like a better configuration then I’d be getting with a MacBook Pro. Also, another thing that turned me away from the Mac was the fact that I wouldn’t be able to get a warranty that would provide accidental protection.</p>

<p>I would honestly advise <em>against</em> getting a Mac esp. for engineering. I’m a PC user but I’ll try to list what I think are the pro’s/con’s for Mac’s </p>

<p>Pro’s
*Aesthetics (won’t deny it)
*LED screen (higher efficiency=longer battery life; although PC’s have this, too)
*Magnetic Charger Connector-thing (Nice, but not necessary)
*Lack of viruses
*Idiot proof OS/user interface (If you’re an engineer, your competency level should be way above the threshold to being with)
*LARGE track pad + very sensitive to touch (I’ll give this one to Apple)</p>

<p>Con’s
*Price (HUGE con for people that aren’t rich…like myself)
*Annoying Mouse button (just one large button, maybe not much a con, since I’m a PC user)
*Lack of internal tweaking (Apparently its very hard to change the settings of the OS, but then again, most people don’t play around with these settings)</p>

<p>Misc:
Apple Care–warranty coverage, will ANYTHING (literally). Costs at least ~$250 (?) I honestly think its a waste of money, but it covers 3 yrs, IMO for the price you already paid, it should WORK for at least the next 3 years w/o problems.
Mac OS–Personally, I like Win7, but this is the BIGGEST difference b/t PC/Mac. </p>

<p>The Mac will cost WAY more, you get a nicer looking laptop, and some people really like the software. PC will be WAY cheaper, may not look as nice, but will be practical for running, MATLAB, SolidWorks, AutoCAD, etc. Bottom line, you pay for the brand, aesthetics and the software–this is honestly the only difference b/t PC’s and Mac’s.</p>

<p>Buy a dell. You’re paying for aesthetics with the vaio. I got an i7, 320gb 7200 rpm hd, and 2gb ram (1 dimm, im adding another stick after) Dell Latitude e6410 for 1,019. Vaios don’t compare.</p>