Master degree in 4 years?

I have seen some people getting undergraduate degrees AND master’s degree, all in 4 years.

How is that possible? Is it possible for all majors, or just certain fields, let’s say, science?

I think you are referring to the University Scholars Program.

https://www.ua.edu/catalogs/catalog10/501304.html

Unless someone has extensive AP credit or are in a highly specialized program, I don’t know anyone that would. Most master’s programs are two years by themselves.

^A number of majors offer specialty master’s programs which are 1 year (30 credits/units) in duration. Engineering tends to have 2 year (60+ credits/units) degree programs. Students who participate in University Scholars in engineering typically complete the first year of classes as a University Scholar and apply for funding for the second year of the program.

As some departments allow courses to satisfy multiple degree requirements, it’s very easy for students coming in with even a small amount of college credit to participate in University Scholars. For example, a double major in Finance and Economics and a master’s degree in either subject requires around 135 credits or 9 semesters at 15 credits each.

My son only came in with 15 or so AP credits but could have easily gotten his Masters in CS in 4 yrs (on scholarship) through the University Scholars program. He ultimately decided to double major instead of getting the Masters. He did take a few gen ed classes over the summer at a local community college (or online.)

There exists the possibility that it can be done. However, it is often frowned upon to do so in academic/scientific circles. Common custom is to do your masters and PhD at a different university to broaden your scope and expose yourself to differing ideas and professors. If your goal is to pursue a PhD, then that is what most people advise. There are some masters degrees that include research and a thesis which can take upwards of 2 1/2 to 3 years. Your goal should be to get the most thorough education possible, which is not necessarily the quickest.

However, I believe that your undergraduate years should be for expansion, as well as for education. Use your extra credits to explore other majors/minors, take some language classes, mix in some different classes to make your semester exciting and more balanced, perhaps a kinesiology or music/art class. I think that each student should take a mix of hard and personally fulfilling classes, so they don’t get burnt out on their way to a degree. Unfortunately, we have all seen students who get stressed and overwhelmed. Students will be out in the workforce all too soon as it is.