Match Me - Junior Female Interested in English, Secondary Education, and Smaller Schools

I am a female junior in high school at a tiny, private Christian school. I started there freshman year, but I’ve been to similar schools all my life.
I am from a well-off family and will not qualify for much need-based aid, but I am looking for merit.
My plan is to major in English with a minor, concentration, track, etc. in creative writing. I’m also considering paths in journalism or secondary education, most likely to teach literature.

STATS
Unweighted GPA: 4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.3 (based on freshman and sophomore years; likely to improve)
ACT: 31 (35 English, 33 Reading, 28 Math, 28 Science) (retaking in March)
Coursework (9-11 grades)
8 honors classes
1 DE
3 APs
Electives in creative writing, drama, and chapel leadership

Awards
Highest GPA in biology and two years of literature

Extracurriculars

• Volunteering at a camp since sixth grade; now a head counselor
  • Worked as a soccer ref for my church since freshman year
  • Involved in life group
  • Member of volunteering club at school
  • Secretary of SGA
  • Secretary of Beta Club
  • Secretary of International Thespian Society
  • Attempting to publish one of the novels I’ve written by graduation as my senior arts capstone project
  • Restarted school newspaper as one of two head editors/writers
  • Helped restart my school’s chapter of NHS; secretary
  • A chief editor and writer in our school’s inaugural literature and arts magazine
  • VERY involved in theater program since freshman year
  • Interning with my old school’s librarian this winter
  • FBLA
  • Math Honor Society
  • Student Ambassador at open houses
  • Basketball and soccer my freshman year

Cost Constraint: under 40K per year after all aid

My top qualities for a school are a strong English program and smaller classes. My ideal undergraduate body size is 2,000-8,000. I’m looking for a welcoming environment with numerous clubs or other ways to be involved. Greek life is almost a must, but I like when it’s more relaxed than Alabama’s. I am not strictly looking for a Christian college, but there must be religious organizations on campus and nearby churches. I’ve always lived in the southeast region, and I love the culture and am used to the weather here. I’ll most likely want to stay in this part of the country.
I am still looking at about 20 schools, but my top five are

1. Furman
  2. Wake Forest
  3. Wofford
  4. Elon
  5. Samford
    My top financial+“getting in” safety is Ole Miss. Although I’m still out of state there, I am fairly confident that I will secure a large portion of aid from my ACT score.
    I plan to apply early action to my first choices and some safeties but will not do early decision even to a dream school.

Have you considered Sewanee? Creative writing is a strength there (there’s an MFA program in addition to the undergraduate offerings), and there are some substantial merit scholarships. There’s an education minor, and an agreement with the School of Education at Vanderbilt for Sewanee students who want to pursue graduate studies there. Sewanee has the kind of “more relaxed” Greek life that you mentioned, and 70% of students participate. It’s a little smaller than your size range - about 1700 undergrads - but could really be worth a look.

4 Likes

Regarding Sewanee, its English department received recognition in this article:

As an interesting academic attribute, Sewanee offers a minor in Shakespeare studies.

1 Like

Do you have any idea which state you might want to teach in? If so, it’s worth considering colleges in THAT state that have teacher certification programs. This will save you a lot of time and energy when it comes time to get certification to teach in that state.

1 Like

I did look there briefly. Despite liking the school, I originally brushed it off as being too rural. I might have to reassess it. Thank you!

1 Like

I’m not completely sure, but both Carolinas seem to keep popping up as schools I like and states I’m comfortable in without being home.

Those are all good choices, but you are seeking a great deal of merit aid, which is always uncertain. I suggest adding another financial safety, perhaps something in-state would qualify

2 Likes

I think getting costs down to $40,000 might be an issue at those schools.

3 Likes

For your main criteria, Hollins matches well.

Here is a list that I consider to be better, but it also has Sewanee on it, as well as another few which the OP may consider.

I would also suggest looking at Hollins, Rhodes College, and UNC Ashville.

1 Like

Before reading all of OP’s priorities, I immediately thought of Kenyon for creative writing.

NPCs need to be run as affordability may be a non-starter for several on your list, but I suggest also researching Sewanee, Centre, Rhodes and your in state options. Would you consider a HWC? I like the suggestions of Hollins. Would Agnes Scott lean too “liberal”? Perhaps Berry or Mercer… although they may not meet budget. Most of these do not meet all your priorities but may be worth a look.

Keep up the research on colleges but most importantly work hard and enjoy your junior year!

1 Like

Might be tough to get them to $40k. Run the NPC for all schools.

UNC Wilmington or College of Charleston? Rollins in Florida has a beautiful campus.

I’ll throw a curveball in the mix. FSU. Very good English department. Top film school so they’re always looking for actors. You would be competitive for OOS tuition waiver and Honors. Especially if you bump your ACT to a 32 or better.

I know it’s a larger school but might be worth a look. S21 is there now. Happy kids there. He’s in digital media but is active in films and writes for the Honors program.

Hope College is a long way from the Southeast, but seems like it could be a fit on most of your other criteria.

I am using the number of English majors of the most recent graduating class as a proxy for strength in English (actual number or as a proportion of grads) as a basis for these suggestions. You may also want to look at this site on merit aid to give an initial rough guess about the likelihood for merit aid at the institution. As always, you will want to run the NPCs for all schools under consideration:

• Agnes Scott (GA): Women’s college with the benefits of the Atlanta consortium

• Belmont (TN)

• Centre (KY)

• Christopher Newport (VA): Virginia’s public liberal arts college

• College of Charleston (SC)

• Loyola New Orleans (LA)

• Mississippi College: If you’re thinking about Ole Miss as a financial safety, take a look at this school, too, as the size seems a much better fit for what you’re looking for.

• Oglethorpe (GA): This English department doesn’t have as many grads as Agnes Scott or Spelman, but if you want to attend a coed college, then this would offer the same consortium possibilities as the other Atlanta schools and it has a flagship match scholarship which you would likely qualify for.

• Rhodes (TN): This is another school that seems to hit so many of your wishlist items

• Roanoke (VA)

• Rollins (FL)

• Spelman (GA): This HBCU and women’s college will have a Divine 9 focus with their sorority life, and like all Atlanta schools is part of the consortium where you can take classes at other schools like Agnes Scott, Emory, and SCAD.

• U. of Montevallo (AL) is the Alabama’s public liberal arts college and would be a financial and academic safety

• U. of North Carolina - Asheville: This is NC’s public liberal arts college. The Greek life is more limited, though, than what is found at many other southern universities.

• U. of the South (TN): This really hits so many of the items on your list

• U. of Tampa (FL)

1 Like

I will keep this short- you definitely match a Wofford Terrier.

I am happy to IM regarding cost and financial aid and a parent of a kid that is currently there.

You can also see some of my other posts which may give insight.

Best regards, and luck in your search.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.