Match our STEM son to a fit college on west coast

What were his AP scores on those math/science classes? I wouldn’t be so confident in where the kids got in previous years as a predictor of future class placements. So many friends from various schools have all been shocked how drastically changed the admit rates were across all the UCs this past cycle.

1 Like

@CMCMLM DS23 only has scores from his sophomore year when the pandemic on-line classes were for the whole year. He had a score of 2 for AP Music Theory (very hard without physical class) and 3 on AP World History. The rest of his class did worse. The Junior year AP exams will in in the first two weeks of May and he is doing well in classes and hopefully expecting much better scores. Yes, the 2022 graduate class college decision will also come out next month. We will watch any out of extraordinary.

1 Like

Yes, we will add U of Nevada Reno on our list. A daughter of my coworker went their for the pre-health program after searching in CA 2019 college admission. U of Utah also sounds great, which was not on our radar. Is there a particular campus we should look into?

1 Like

There’s only one (main) campus, it’s in Salt Lake City (on the east side adjacent to the mountains but only 5 mins on the light rail to downtown). It’s a great location

1 Like

Just the main campus in Salt Lake City; there are satellite campuses for specific purposes but not for regular undergraduates. The Honors College is really nice, although posters who are familiar with the school have said that the Honors curriculum doesn’t blend as well with engineering as with other majors. UNR has an Honors College too.

1 Like

I just noticed that you commented above that Bioengineering does not get into design - that is not the case at my daughter’s school at all. Some of it is by choice - she is interested in design so she has made an effort to take classes and get involved with opportunities to get design experience. But all seniors at her school have to do a “senior design project” as part of their major requirements. I have no idea how this compares to other schools though.

Thanks for the feed back. Bio-engineering is such a relatively new field, comparing with civil engineering, etc. I would think the current ABET accredited engineering programs (including bio-engineering) would require certain engineering design classes and projects. The concerns were, when they graduated from college with bio-engineering degree and got hired at a company, that they are usually placed in a Quality Control position, instead of at a design team position. We don’t have first-hand experience, it is very good to hear about your daughter’s experience and it helps for us as parents thinking down the road. Best wishes for her.

5/27/2022 Update and share some info from my son’s CA high school:
My DS23’s junior year is coming to the end. Below is this year’s senior graduates top 10 rank got admission to the 4-yr college. It is a CA suburban public high school (about 2200 students). According to the school information, there are about 484 students in the graduating class. About 50 students (21%) received admission to UC. 65 students (27%) are admitted to CSU. 87 students (36%) plan to attend community college. About 9 students (4%) are admitted to attend CA private colleges. About 21 students (8.5%) of graduating class will attend OOS private or public colleges.
2022 Graduates

Rank  HS GPA  College  Major
10      4.49	UCI 	  Psychology
10      4.49	UCB	
8        4.491	UCLA	
7        4.50	UCLA	
7        4.50	UCB    	Economy		
6        4.51	UCB	Molecular and Cell Biology
5        4.56	UCB	Political Science 
4        4.58	UCLA	Biology
3        4.59	UCB	EECS
2        4.60	UCSD	Statistics
1        4.61	UCB	Psychology

Are those HS-calculated GPAs? If so, what is the calculation method?

There HS GPA are weighted GPA. There are about 21 APs and dozen of Honor classes are weighted with 5 points. I would say 4.6 is about the maximum student can get to fulfill the UC A-G requirements and CA school District graduating requirements and take about 12-15 AP classes. So these are not the UC capped GPA. I would say the UC capped GPA for those top 10 students are about 4.4 +/-. @ucbalumnus Did I answer your question?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.