Match programs for aerospace/materials and mechanical engineering [3.4GPA, 1500 SAT, <$30k/year]

If you can get into Buff and/or Bing, it likely makes no sense to pay more (or in the case of Utah, roughly the same) for any of these OOS flagships. I don’t see how Madison or Twin Cities can come in at-or-under 35K/year. (In the example cited above, it took a named scholarship to get the cost to 35K for UMinn-TC, on top of the max OOS merit. And the price keeps going up, and OOS merit keeps going down.) I mentioned Utah (if you can get the residency deal) because it’s one that would probably admit you even if Bing/Buff didn’t (Uof U Honors College would be a reach but general admission isn’t)… and they have all of the major-flagship resources you were saying you wanted. I agree, though, that if your top in-state options come through, that’s your best bet, as everyone here has been saying all along.

6 Likes

TAMU admits engineering majors to first year general engineering. After enrolling, students need to earn a 3.75 college GPA or enter another competitive admission process (ETAM) to get into their desired engineering majors. Based on TAMU ETAM statistics - #172 by pbleigh , aerospace and mechanical engineering are among the more competitive majors, but materials engineering is likely to be easy to get into.

2 Likes

You keep saying you are checking net price calculators. Please understand that these are not particularly accurate for international students.

1 Like

Good reminder. Not sure it’s also been covered but OP won’t qualify for many aerospace internships/jobs as an international student either (security clearance issues).

2 Likes

I think OP has given up on Aerospace Engineering due to the near-impossibility of getting security clearance thus internships.
I do hope OP is going to apply to lots of SUNYs.

3 Likes

I am sorry to hear about your challenges with undiagnosed ADHD. My junior kid faced similar challenges during remote learning in 9th grade. We managed to get him evaluated and diagnosed in 10th grade. Since then, he has been getting accomodations at school. Have you got diagnosed? If so, you could request extended time for your tests at school and same for SAT test.

2 Likes

Hi, I have been busy with exams so I haven’t had time to respond here!

You keep saying you are checking net price calculators. Please understand that these are not particularly accurate for international students.

I know, I’ve discussed that with my parents!

I think OP has given up on Aerospace Engineering due to the near-impossibility of getting security clearance thus internships.

:sob: :sob: I don’t know why you would assume that, I’m still going to pursue that field… I’m looking for mechanical engineering and aerospace as a minor

1 Like

Parents don’t seem too enthusiastic about accommodations, they denied me asking for them…
my grades would have been so much better if I just got some extensions on assignments : (

Does “undiagnosed ADHD” mean that you have been formally diagnosed since that time? Or are you still just self-diagnosed but not formally so?

If you have a documented diagnosis, you can definitely pursue accommodations in college - it will no longer be up to your parents whether you do this, once you’re 18.

3 Likes

This is a little off topic to this thread…but if you want accommodations in college, you need to find out what the colleges want for documentation…and then be prepared to provide that.

2 Likes

That’s what I meant: you stated you were now going to pursue a ME major (and hope to add an aerospace engineering minor, which makes sense). As a result, you’re not constrained by restrictions that bind aerospace-only international students. :slight_smile: (Whether you’re still interested in aerospace engineering is not the topic here, but rather where you can apply to college.)
All reputable colleges of engineering will have ME.

You need a formal diagnostic if you want accomodations but if you have one, you can contact the office of disability support (it may have various names depending on the college), submit the documentation they request, and receive what has been deemed appropriate accomodations. Colleges may vary in what support they offer.
If you’re admitted to several colleges, you can contact them before you decide to enroll and choose based on those where accomodations fit your needs.
Regardless of what the college offers, attend office hours every week and book tutors (or use the walk-in writing and math centers). It’s not HS: tutors aren’t for failing students (*) but for students who want to turn their B into an A.
(*can be, of course)

1 Like

I have been diagnosed since last March but the issue is that my parents are reluctant to provide documentation to the school for a 504 plan. When I go to college however, I’ll personally be prepared with all the documentation required to advocate for the accommodations I need!

4 Likes

Ok! This is great advice- thank you so much! I think I will have to factor the accommodations provided at each university into my decision, but unfortunately it feels so restricted (my options for college). Also, I’m really studying hard for my June SAT!!! I’ve taken a practice test and the score range depending on the curve was between 1480-1520 so I’ve improved a lot :smiling_face: :smiling_face:

5 Likes

If you get into a SUNY for Engineering, it’s GREAT.
Anything else is a cherry on top :slight_smile:
(If classmates talk down SUNYs, remember that familiarity breeds contempt… ie., they’re so close to them they can’t see how great they are… and talk SUNYs UP.)

thank you!! I am actually mostly looking at Ubuff. I looked their internship placements, research activity, facilities and faculty, and it seems like a pretty great fit for me. I think staying realistic and setting myself up for success (and no debt!!) in undergrad is best. Then, I can look into other selective schools for grad school, I think.

My school is unfortunately pretty elitist and people tend to look down upon state schools/ lesser known schools. However, I know my financial situation and my stats, and I don’t let the pressure get to me. I know I’ll do well wherever I go

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear they’re such an ignorant bunch.

2 Likes

sharing some wisdom as someone who’s gone through the process- I know we’ve spoken a bit in PMs, but you’ve read my thread and I’ve read yours- things will work out and you’ll get to pursue your passions in whatever way it comes to you. I know the college application process is stressful, and it can be really tricky (as many on this thread have seen from my own journey) but know it’ll all work out. <3 /warmly

1 Like

Aww thank you so much for the reassurance!! You’re truly really inspiring and even though you are a stranger on the internet, I am happy for you and I know we can both have it work out for us in the end. /warmly

update: 1500!

1 Like

Congratulations on the increase! I’ve updated your thread title accordingly.