Match programs for aerospace/materials and mechanical engineering [3.4GPA, 1500 SAT, <$30k/year]

Op would have to be eligible to file the FAFSA and be considered an eligible non citizen for Excelsior or STEM scholarship. Remember both fill the gap after federal and state aid

OP will be eligible for in-state tuition.

@kelsmom, does OP’s current status make her eligible for federal aid?

I agree with those up thread, don’t worry about EC’s -even with a 1450, New Paltz and Oswego are heavily goa focused.

Remember, you scores are a 3hour snap shot that say what you are capable of doing.

Your transcript talks to what you have actually done everyday in the building. Even if you finish the term with a 4.0 it may not move the needle much because that one term has to be combined with the previous 5 terms (which is why I always tell my students start strong).

Numbers are back on the table at SUNY. Did you receive a trig waiver? If not I recommend taking it and scoring at least an 85. You should be in. Track fir finishing up and advanced regents diploma ( if you can get mastery in math and science, even better)

2 Likes

I’m not @kelsmom. But I don’t believe this non-citizen is eligible to file a FAFSA.

@sybbie719 is there any institutional aid available to this student from any SUNY schools?

2 Likes

I do not think that OP would be an eligible non-citizen that would be eligible for federal state aid, hence the request to @kelsmom

1 Like

I agree that the student is not eligible to file FAFSA.

1 Like

Thank you @Kelsmom.

Op would not be eligible for STEM scholarship, Excelsior, Peralta Tap, HEOP or other NYS aid. Op would be eligible for in-state tuition

2 Likes

You would likely fill out the International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA), like this:

(This one is on Stanford’s page but it’s the same for all colleges that use ISFAA). It replaces FAFSA and often even CSS for internationals.

2 Likes

You mentioned earlier that your parents work at SUNY. Are there any tuition benefits? Some colleges offer tuition discount for children of employees. Does this apply to you?

6 Likes

Oh alright- I will check to see if the colleges I’m looking into (lehigh lafayette, rochester) have these forms . thank you so much!

1 Like

Yes I think it does… let me check with my parents

1 Like

If you don’t see it googling " isfaa Lafayette ", just email international admissions.
Explain you’re an H4 international student currently in NYS and are strongly considering Lafayette for ED1 as you’re hoping to major in engineering at Liberal Arts college (*) but are wondering about their financial aid policies toward international applicants, whether they use ISFAA, etc.
This way you “show interest”, get on their radar, and if you end up applying ED1 or ED2 you’re not an unknown quantity.
(*this way, you’re making a pitch for yourself by saying they are a good fit for your goals.)

As for the above, have your parents inquire about Tuition exchange or other college/educational benefits.

3 Likes

Okay! I didn’t know that reaching out personally to college admissions officers would be beneficial, I was always afraid to say something wrong :sweat_smile: . I think I will email some private colleges about financial aid to see if they offer enough and if I’d like to offer ED : ) Thanks so much!!

It seems like lehigh has a good engineering program so I’m really interested in them. does anyone know about their lab/ research facilities? I also really like that they place undergrads with internships also, because I think I’ve mentioned before that formal work experience is very important to me .

forgot to mention that specifically UNPAID internships lolol

From the Lafayette website (under international student financial aid)

International students seeking need-based financial aid must submit the CSS Profile . This form is done online. The application of aninternational student who is seeking financial aid will be considered incomplete if no CSS Profile is submitted by the application deadline.

Lafayette is one of 70 schools in the nation that guarantees to meet 100% of admitted and enrolled students’ demonstrated financial need. For this purpose, demonstrated financial need is a calculated dollar amount based on information the international student provides on the CSS Profile. Meeting demonstrated need does not mean that all expenses will be covered by financial aid, nor does it mean that summer or interim expenses will be covered by financial aid. These costs are typically the responsibility of the student and student’s family.

Lafayette College is aware and considers a student’s financial situation when making admission decisions.

3 Likes

Because you are on an H-4 dependent visa it is unlikely that you can work jobs/internships. Here’s what Tufts says:

Dependents in H-4 status are permitted to study while in the US, on either a part-time or full-time basis. H-4 dependents are not allowed to work while in the US.

I am not an expert in visas…is it possible to change to a student visa for all of college, rather than waiting until you must change to a student visa when you are 21? Hopefully some more knowledgeable posters can weigh in.

Yes, and that’s the recommended option. With an F1 student visa, OP can qualify for a “curricular practical training” authorization later that will let her do internships, and an “optional practical training” after graduation. Plus she’ll qualify for a work visa after the OPT if she finds a sponsoring employer.

4 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense. For OP, would she start that process now? Who would she need to talk to…I assume an immigration attorney?

No, she shouldn’t need an attorney. Once she gets accepted and commits to a school, she can work with their international student’s office. They will provide her the paperwork necessary for filing for an F1. She can then go to an American embassy/consulate in her home country to get her new visa stamped. Alternatively, she can petition the State Department for an adjustment of status to an F1. I believe the first option is faster (but of course, more expensive given travel costs).

4 Likes

Make a plan to apply EA. That means figuring out what the EA deadlines are and submitting your application well before it arrives so you have time to check your application status portals, order scores and can followup with your high school if you are relying on them to submit grades, recommendations, etc.

Submitting an application and all the required materials by the EA deadline is an application advantage within your control since EA acceptance rates tend to be higher than the RD round.

Engineering tends to fill up quickly and lots of well qualified students end up deferred or rejected in the RD round because offers of admission have already filled up the cohort in EA.

Some scholarship dollars are offered first come first served to qualifying candidates so delaying your application to RD can also mean fewer dollars a college will be able to offer.

3 Likes

this is awesome to know, thank you!! I will be looking to EA to Bing and other private schools since I will probably do RD for the rest of the state schools.
Do you have suggestions for good engineering schools to go EA for?

Yep, my parents and I plan that I will start filing for the F1 visa in my freshman year itself because the time it takes to receive one is pretty long.

1 Like

“I will probably do RD for the rest of the state schools.”

State schools fill up their engineering cohorts early. I’ve seen lots of stellar candidates make the mistake of believing they can put those applications off until RD, but are surprised when the engineering programs can’t offer them a spot.

There are also some department merit scholarships at public colleges so an early application keeps applicants informed of those opportunities and an early admission can also motivate students to apply for those additional funds.

3 Likes