Math Placement Exam

<p>I'm in quite a bit of a bind with the math placement exam. I knew about it for quite some time now and it's been at the back of my mind forever but over time I just forgot about it. I've just realized that now I only have one chance to take it because my NSC date is June 17. I'm freaking out because I don't want to mess up my only opportunity!! </p>

<p>I've heard the test is actually quite difficult so does anyone have any tips for scoring well on it? I really don't want to have to take precal and be a semester behind!
Thank you.</p>

<p>Take and study the practice test.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how will we get the score after we have given the test? Besides we are required to score a 22 or above so does this mean we can’t afford more than 3 wrong questions?!!</p>

<p>There was actually 33 questions this time, and I got a 25/33, placing me in math 151. Which is calculus 1.</p>

<p>And the test is just a suggestion. They won’t force you to take pre cal if you think you are ready for calc 1.</p>

<p>How do you find out your score?</p>

<p>I studied the practice exam until I could do it without any aid. </p>

<p>So if I didn’t know how to do a question, I re-learned the technique for solving that question. The score is given right after you take the exam. You need at least a 22/33.</p>

<p>The test isn’t just a suggestion anymore. They will not allow you to enroll in Calculus 1 if you do not pass it.</p>

<p>@izelkay, do you know if they will force you to take math 171 because that’s the math for physics major, but i plan to transfer to engineering which needs math 151. And i don’t think i’m ready for math 171.</p>

<p>They won’t force you to take a math class you’re not ready for.</p>

<p>If you’re like me then you might want to take pre-cal in the summer after the test even if you passed it. Since you only have one shot you might as well study a little every two days until the two-week period before your NSC. then take it. I say a two-week period because if you wait the week of you will probably be very stressed, while two weeks will give you time to make sure you are ready. As for questions, know how to simplify rational equations.</p>

<p>Guys I dont think that pre-calculus requires so much effort and hardwork. I was nervous before the test which I gave just today and after doing some 5 or 6 questions I got really confident and nailed it! One more thing, the test is totally based on information given in [url=&lt;a href=“http://webalg.math.tamu.edu/mindex.htm]mindex.htm[/url”&gt;http://webalg.math.tamu.edu/mindex.htm]mindex.htm[/url</a>]. If you can take time to give a cursory look through all the contents of this page you will pretty much understand where you are standing and what more you need to learn to pass the test…</p>

<p>I agree with the above post. Plus, you’ll barely see any of the material on that test in Math 151/152, so it’s not really a big deal.</p>