Math placement exam

<p>I have a question about the placement exams. My roommate said he didn't have to take the math placement exam because he passed the Calc BC test with a 3. It seems pretty logic, since Calculus far surpasses the difficulty of the Placement exam, but just wondering..do I have to take it if I got a 5 on CalcBC?? It makes no sense, since I'm directly into math 234 because the score counts for both math 221 and 222.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I think that my son said anyone with a "2" or better on the BC exam didn't have to take the placement exam.</p>

<p>If your scores are reported in the student center and you have above a two on BC calculus, you don't have to (We actually spent extra money to get to Madison early only to find out I didn't have to take any placement tests :X).</p>

<p>If your scores arn't reported yet for some reason, its best you do to make sure your class selection goes smoothly.</p>

<p>Anyway, no...you don't have to. I also got a 5 on BC calc and was ectremely irriated when the people administrating the test said, "if you have a 2 or higher, you do NOT have to take the test". </p>

<p>Either way, I had a nice chat with a couple people while we were waiting for the English placement test to be done and the math test to start.</p>

<p>Do you have to take the english placement exam even if your AP/IB scores have placed you out of comm A?</p>

<p>Thanks. And is there a way I wouldn't have to take the english placement exam. I passed the German AP exam, does that count?</p>

<p>Don't worry about passing the placement exams if you are competent enough to do well in AP Lang/Lit courses. Since UW requires a certain competency level in math and English to get a degree they require students to pass a test in each, sorry I'm no help on exceptions, though (I do know your ACT/SAT scores don't matter). </p>

<p>You only take a foreign language placement test if you plan to take that same language at UW- the test is used to place you in the appropriate level of the language. If you have met the language requirement for your school/college, such as credit for 4 HS years of one foreign language or 3 of one and 2 of another (the maximum required by any), you don't need to take a language at UW or a placement test, regardless of your current level of knowledge. The AP foreign language credits will not get you out of a placement test if you want to continue that language at UW. They are useful in meeting breadth reqs and giving you credits towards the number required to graduate.</p>

<p>The short answer- most students will take the English and math placement tests no matter what courses they've taken in HS (taking them if you don't need them is not likely to hurt you) and very few need to bother with a foreign language placement test.</p>