Why do I have to take the math placement test?

<p>According to the email they sent me, I have to take the math and english placement test for my college counselor to advise me into which classes to take. I already got a 5 on AP calc BC. The math placement test is literally a joke compared to AP calc (no bragging intention). Anyway, my question is why do I still need to take the math placement test? Or can I get an exemption from it? I seriously don't need any point in taking the math placement test.</p>

<p>From the information below, it does NOT sound like you have to take a math placement test. You are an entering student who is NOT taking any of the classes listed below, correct?</p>

<p><a href=“Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison”>Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison;

<p>Placement</p>

<p>Each entering student (freshman or transfer student not having transfer credit for a specific UW mathematics course indicating student’s placement) who will take Mathematics 95, 101, 112, 113, 114, 141, 171, 210, 211, 221, or 275 is required to take the placement examinations in mathematics before enrolling in any of these courses. Placement in a course is not guaranteed on the basis of the high school record; placement in the course appropriate to the student’s needs and competence will be made by the Department of Mathematics on the basis of placement scores. Transfer credit does not necessarily “place” a student.</p>

<p>They sent me an email like this: </p>

<p>We look forward to welcoming you to campus as a future Badger at the University of Wisconsin-Madison! Like other admitted students, you are probably starting to develop questions about academic advising and orientation.</p>

<p>At our university, all new students attend a program called Student Orientation Advising and Registration (SOAR) which is coordinated by the Center for the First-Year Experience. Details about the dates and registration will be sent to you in the near future.</p>

<p>In that email, there will also be information about the placement testing procedure. You, and all incoming freshman, will take the UW-System English and Math placement tests to help your academic advisor build the best set of first-semester courses for you to take.</p>

<p>If you studied a foreign language and would like to continue studying this language, we recommend that you take an optional Foreign Language exam that might allow you to earn academic credit. Be prepared to take the course you place into, to be eligible for this credit. </p>

<p>As you await the email with additional instructions, please visit and bookmark the SOAR website to stay informed with the most up-to-date information.</p>

<p>Again, we look forward to welcoming you to campus!</p>

<p>Office of Admissions and Recruitment
University of Wisconsin-Madison
<a href=“Contact Us – Office of Admissions and Recruitment – UW–Madison”>http://admissions.wisc.edu/contactus&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Each student’s situation/intended major/etc. is unique and to ensure that the academic advisor has all the tools necessary to advise an incoming student on his or her unique situation, students are required to take both the math and English placement tests. Certain majors and departments have varying views on AP credit and course requirements. To ensure that a student receives the best advising possible they should take the placement tests as directed by the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. The academic advisors can then work with the student and talk about the best plan for their academic future.</p>

<p>Sounds like the generic email sent to all admitted students. Check further for current exceptions. Every student at UW is required to meet certain basic knowledge standards regardless of the school/college, some students will place into remedial classes based on the placement test. Having taken HS courses, even getting top grades, may not mean having those fundamental skills. </p>

<p>btw- the placement test is all precalculus, it is easy to forget some of those skills once you get into calculus (son claimed he didn’t have to study for the SAT II math test because they were reviewing it - he should have- all ancient history since he got his UW Honors math degree). In son’s day they had to take the placement test despite any calculus- he took his the day SOAR started with top scores.</p>

<p>In order to register for SOAR, you must have at least registered for your placement tests. Everyone has to do it. </p>