Mays

<p>Ok, I am just curious, could I transfer into Mays if I have 76 hours total? I will have 46 hours transferring in the spring as an econ major... then I have to take 30 at A&M so 76 total. Is there anyway I can get 30 hours at A&M without going over the 75 limit? Maybe retake business math 141(finite 1324)? anything like that? Also, i know have to keep my GPA up so no need to make a point about it. Or, will they still consider me eventhough I have one hour too much? Just curious and I want to keep my options open. thanks.</p>

<p>A friend of a friend had 77 total hours. He transferred 46 and ended up with 31 hours at A&M, he was declined initially. Were any of your 46 credits taken during high school?</p>

<p>unfortunately no. I have talked to a counselor and they said that you can’t. But I expected that so I think i’m just going to stick with Econ. andy advice? I have read a lot of your posts and you seem to know the ins and outs of Mays and Econ. I mean is Econ a good degree etc.</p>

<p>An option you ought to look at is what you have that will transfer over. I am pretty sure all my credits did not transfer over. Such as I took BCIS 1305 (Business Computer Information Systems or whatever) and they did not take that so I had to take INFO 210 here. I do not know if that is necessarily an option but you may want to bring that to a counselors that you might have a credit that would not apply for a core business class possibly. </p>

<p>I am not entirely sure if that is an option, and in admissions they may not consider that detail but I would give it a shot to ask about any classes that may not be applied toward a degree at A&M.</p>

<p>Yeah I will definitely take a look at that. I know I have some that transfer but don’t count towards anything etc. I’ll ask them about it. Thanks for the tip</p>

<p>He’s right. Total hours only includes hours that earn transfer credit…sometimes it’s wierd though. When I was originally transferring to A&M, I was going to apply to Econ and transfer internally into Mays. I was thinking because many of my hours were music classes(I have my A.S. in Audio Engineering), they wouldn’t count towards the Total hours. What ended up happening was they included many of them with “Transfer by Title” or something. They did it to just enough of them to make me miss the 75 cut-off.</p>

<p>Go to the TCCNS website, [TCCNS</a> - Common Course Matrix](<a href=“http://www.tccns.org/matrix.aspx]TCCNS”>http://www.tccns.org/matrix.aspx), and click compare institutions…pick your current school and TAMU of course. If you don’t see a few of your classes “matched” then there is a chance one or two might not count. If you talked to an advisor already though, this may be for nothing. He probably set you straight already…</p>

<p>As far as Econ, A&Ms Econ isn’t that quantitative. I mean if you want to take the Cal 1,2,3 and Mathematical Econ it is there. I was going to go the Business Econ route. They have the Business Economics Certificate that is essentially a B.S. in Econ and a minor in Business. I actually like Econ better and I sort of miss it…if you do well too, you can get paid well at graduation. A&M posts salary reports and Econ has good stats every semester. Plus, A&M only has 400ish Econ students, so the classes aren’t that big either.</p>

<p>Ok cool. I don’t have a problem with quantitative but i’m not exactly looking forward to all the math. Do most of the graduates find work easily?</p>

<p>I don’t know about easily, you hear of Mays grads more because there is just so many of us. I mean Mays has like 5 or 6,000 kids and Econ has just the 400. I have definately heard of them getting jobs as financial or business analysts though. If I were doing Econ, I know I wouldn’t have gone the heavy math route, but I would have tried to tie more business and tech classes. If you manage the Cal 1 and 2, look into the engineering school’s minors. I think the Business Econ Cert. and a minor in IE would be sick, honestly…might take you an extra semester.</p>

<p>Yeah that sounds pretty sweet actually. So when will class registrations start? I want to get ahead of the game and get good profs.</p>

<p>Anyone know if there are any highly quantitative economics courses offered here? Hoping to take a couple of electives for my minor that will be geared towards more calculus/differential equations.</p>

<p>Econometrics maybe, there is actually a class labeled Introduction to Mathematical Economics. The advisor told me it was for those that wanted to do graduate level Econ. Also, I sat in on th esenior-level Games and Behavior class and it was lots of math and lots of theory too though…</p>

<p>Econ 460 is the class your thinking of.</p>