Med (or large) size social/"party" schools with no Greek life or religious affiliation

I’ve had kids at 5 state schools ranging from 7000 - 37,000 (including UDel), it seems like for those guys who want to party, it can be difficult if not greek or in a sport. It’s much easier for girls.

1 Like

All of the schools listed have Greek life.

Yes. I started with 2 out of 3….

Going to be very difficult to find a party school without some Greek. Pitt has some Greek. It wasn’t big when I attended many years ago and there were plenty of non-Greek parties. Plus you had the city for entertainment options including other colleges.

OP, even if a school has some Greek population it doesn’t mean they’re active and run the campus. An urban campus will also offer other opportunities for parties.

Thank you, everyone! These are all really helpful comments and suggestions. I’m posting this for my daughter. I used the term “party” school because it’s thrown around by college guides and sites to describe schools where students are highly social even outside of clubs, orgs and official school activities. Not necessarily hard-drinking schools. And mostly used for larger schools, not because small LAC students are less fun or social, there are just fewer kids and so college guides never seem to label LACs as highly social, but I’m sure some are.

Anyway, I noticed that the vibe of some of the campuses labeled as “party” schools were the ones that appealed to my daughter during visits. Big sports, greek life and religious life aren’t important to her and so a school where the social life isn’t dominated by any of the above is preferred.

Thanks again, CC!

1 Like

I would suggest a slight reframe with your child. D1 went to small LAC where prob 90% Greek so if you weren’t you stood out. She liked it. D2 went to large in state and immediately found her people. A large school gives you more possible combinations of friends. For D2 it was her honors college and a religious group. She had a core group of about 20 friends, only 2 went Greek. While it seems like a very Greek school because they are so visible, the are not the majority by any means. D2 is not a big party girl but her group went to football games, intramurals, etc. she had much easier time getting classes than D1 (at small school), knew her department chairs and professors really well and had a great time.

Someone may have mentioned the difference between religious schools and those with religious affiliations. Outside of public institutions, many colleges were founded by religious groups. Some are still that way name only, some still have actual religion requirements. Except for extreme examples, like Bob Jones, being religious doesn’t necessarily mean no parties or social life. Furman is good example. Founded Baptist but not as affiliated as it use to be. The Religion requirement can now be satisfied by a number of philosophy, etc courses. Wouldn’t recommend for yours because is pretty dominantly Greek but good school in spite of religious founding.

3 Likes

Thank you, scmom12!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.