Mental illness in UC Application?

I did poorly junior year because of depression, but I improved a lot this year and have been making straight a’s in all my AP classes. My question is should I use the additional essay to explain my history with depression, and also inform them of how much I’ve improved and how it’s under control now? I definitely want to explain why my grades were so poor last year and also that I’m doing really well this year since they won’t see my grades from senior year on the application, but I’m not sure how explicit I should be. I’ve heard different opinions. Some say to be vague and say it’s a “health issue”, but I’m worried this might sound like I’m just trying to make an excuse. But if I do mention the depression, I’m worried it’ll hurt my chances. My GPA isn’t horrible, but there is somewhat of a downward trend in my grades because of last year.

So is it better to be vague and talk about how I’ve recovered and improved, or be more explicit and talk about how I’ve recovered and have improved in school?

God no. Read the papers. Do not bring up mental illness in an application.

That’s what I thought. I feel I should still address the lapse in my grades though. Would it be enough to say I had a health issue that I’ve since recovered from?

I can’t think that it would hurt you - the stigma against mental illness isn’t strong at institutions of higher learning, and explaining the lapse in grades, if it’s something you want to do, should be specific, else it can appear to be disingenuous.

It is a desperate last resort. Are they just supposed to take you word that you are okay now or are you going to submit medical opinion that you won’t take yourself out or anyone else? Many times this is asked and answered in the essay forum. Overwhelming opinion is no, no, no. An exception is if there is well established recovery and it is clearly in the past. That would not happen in a year or less.

Honestly, the admissions officers would have to be dumb if they automatically deemed any indication of a mental illness as being “dangerous.” 18.2% of Americans experience it currently, and the number that experience it during their lifetimes is much higher.

@flowaa25 Do Not Listen to the above comments. In my essays, I talked about the fact that I had an eating disorder and moderate depression. But the most important thing is that you do not leave it at that. U need to build off of it, saying how you have changed and for the better. For me, I used a leadership activity that truly changed me and allowed me to “come out of the box,” something important during the recovery process.

I had the a similar experience so my college counselor advised me to write something like this: “I experienced health problems that hindered my ability to accomplish as much as I would have liked to my junior year. I worked with the guidance department and teachers to remedy these problems, and it is no longer a problem.” I agree that writing “depression” may be a bad call for some schools, but if it’s a problem that you’re currently still experiencing, don’t you want a school that will be able to accommodate your needs or give you help when you ask? I didn’t end up using it because my grades didn’t dip low enough to warrant explanation, but if you think it needs to be explained I’d say go for it.

Campus counseling centers at most schools are overwhelmed right now. The waiting period for appointments is unacceptably long because they need room for ‘crisis mgt.’ situations. Do you seriously think, under this circumstance, that you want to reveal a history of depression that happened last year to the schools to which you are applying? Especially in light of the high rate of reoccurrence? Schools do not want any additional risk. It’s not about stigma. It’s not about a challenge you successfully overcame. It’s about risk mgt.

Nainar’s counselor has given the correct advice - a health issue that impacted your work and has since been addressed. Leave it at that.

Yes, I agree with the counselor. Good advice.

OP, wherever you go to school, I would encourage you to seek help IMMEDIATELY if you start feeling down. My daughter’s therapist explained to her that going off to college can be very stressful in the best of situations, and someone with a predisposition to anxiety or depression is at risk of a relapse. As others have mentioned, many college students struggle with mental illness, so you are not alone. Colleges want you to succeed! Each school has an office for students with disabilities that can help you. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone, I ended up just writing that I had health problems which have since been resolved and that I’ve improved this year.

My daughter had depression as well - and addressed it up front in her essay. In fact, I feel her essay was the sole reason she got into college itself - it was beautifully written. She didn’t use it as an excuse - but used it as a stepping block as to how her grades improved from junior to senior year -all due to the self-help therapy she went through. Her grades did increase substantially - just as the OP mentioned too. Her counselor asked her to address it head on as well - and the counselor wrote her letter addressing the issue. The counselor also gave her phone number in case the schools had any questions, and I know for a fact at least one admissions counselor called the high school counselor to discuss. She was admitted to that school (although she didn’t attend). My D ended up going to a larger university where there is a ton of counseling offered through the school itself. This is our experience, and if you write an essay showing how you improved (and they might want to see your 7th semester grades) then that is huge. Not everyone is going to think depression leads to shooting everyone on campus - that’s a whole different issue.