Talking about Mental Health in UC Essays

I haven’t been sure about whether I should talk about my mental health issues in one of the UC Personal Question prompts. I was dealing with pretty extreme anxiety and depression during my freshman year and I’ve spent the past 3 healing myself and that struggle was really what made me into the person I am today. Most of my best qualities come from that healing process, but I’ve seen that mentioning mental health on applications in looked down on. So I’m wondering how I should go about this. My depression is now completely gone but I still deal with some anxiety symptoms but nothing that would get in the way of school.

I would be very careful about writing about mental illness. See this past thread for the discussion.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/college-essays/2020136-writing-about-mental-illness-in-the-college-essay-p1.html

You want to write about reasons the UC’s should admit you not the opposite. You could mention a past medical issue and how it made you a better person but I would tread lightly.