MEPN programs...this sounds too good to be true?

<p>Short story: I went to a top university in California and am graduating with a B.A. in Humanities. I have a pretty good GPA (3.6). I realized that I can't really do much with my career with JUST a B.A. and have decided to look into graduate school programs. I heard about the MEPN and started doing some research and it sounds too good to be true. So please correct me if I'm wrong here.</p>

<p>From what it looks like, I can obtain a Master of Science in Nursing. And there are many schools in California that offer this program. From what it seems like, the MEPN is similar to the traditional MSN, but is different in the sense that it is for baccalaureates who don't have a nursing background and those in the MEPN program may have to take a few more additional classes.</p>

<p>I've looked at a few schools like Western U of Health Sciences and Cal State Fullerton, and the admission requirements do not seem draconian at all. They require a few science courses, many of which can be taken at a community college, and most of the other pre reqs I have already fulfilled in undergrad (i.e. stats, social science, etc.).</p>

<p>I feel if I do take the required classes at CC, get some volunteer experience, and work hard, I might be able to get into a program, and dare I say, become a nurse <em>gasp</em></p>

<p>But this really seems "too easy." I must be missing something. Is there a catch here? Are these programs extremely difficult to get into (i.e. 2% acceptance rate?) or are the job prospects for MEPN slim to none? I thought MEPN graduates basically receive a MSN? Am I right or wrong?</p>

<p>If anyone can help clarify for me, that'd be fantastic.</p>

<p>I think that the question you need answered is: after completing a Master of Science in Nursing, what are you qualified to do? You will NOT be an RN, so you can not work as a nurse. After completing this degree, are you allowed to take the NCLEX exam? Another question to ask: Is this program only open to students who already are RNs?</p>

<p>I’d call the department head of one of these programs and ask them about the program. They should be able to tell you what you need to know.</p>