Miami Class of 2017

<p>Mail package came today</p>

<p>How are UM dorms for freshman?</p>

<p>They’re amazing. Couldn’t ask for a better experience.</p>

<p>When is the latest I can apply to get decent dorms?</p>

<p>They’re the same. The only option you have as a freshman is between Hecht and Stanford. Preference is given on a first-come, first-served basis so your question is impossible to answer.</p>

<p>DS is going to be a CANE. Deposit paid today :)</p>

<p>LINYMOM:</p>

<p>Congrats!</p>

<p>My son and I are probably going to do it tonight when I get home from the road…</p>

<p>Has anyone got the Stamps scholarship for students going into UM in the fall?</p>

<p>Are we supposed to be using MYUM or the new CaneId?</p>

<p>Congrats LINYMOM! Welcome to the Cane Family!</p>

<p>Congrats, I just enrolled through MyUM as well!
Is there any reason to wait to fill out your housing application and pay the fee?
Also, just from what I saw, it makes you select a dorm before you choose a roommate. What if your roommate wants to dorm in the other building?</p>

<p>Stanford is less popular with the party crowd but its elevators and lobby are not as nice. My understanding is that each building has a different vibe so check the one that best fits your child. I am sure a room-mate that also has the same building preferences will be easy to find (a high probability been that there are only those two buildings for the freshmen).</p>

<p>Stanford is getting new elevators this summer… I think we parents care about the lobby more than the students!</p>

<p>Anyone attending this Sunday?</p>

<p>10 characters</p>

<p>Congratulations LINYMOM and other new UM parents. Go CANES!</p>

<p>While the application process may have felt painfully slow, the UM adventure is going to fly by. Look forward to very happy reports from your students. </p>

<p>Fair warning. The freshman dorm rooms [Stanford and Hecht] are pretty small and dreary. Can be a little shocking for us parents on move-in day. But the kids don’t care. They make so many friends on their dorm floor, the rooms don’t matter.</p>

<p>Cookie16 you sound like a UM ambassador. Do you have kids attending the school?</p>

<p>Yep, my DS is a sophomore. Been the best possible experience for him.</p>

<p>Just attended accepted student day. Very informative. Son not too happy about being a commuter but the idea of spending an extra $10,000 while living 15 minutes is difficult to justify. I’ve hear very positive feed back from many students and parents at UM.</p>

<p>

Financially, yes it’s hard to justify, but as a current freshman resident, I have to say that the on-campus experience is invaluable and plays a huge role in the whole “college experience.” To put it bluntly, I wouldn’t have any friends if I didn’t live on campus.</p>