Miami Class of 2017

<p>Probably too early for this, but </p>

<p>Who's applying?</p>

<p>Early Decision vs Early Action vs Regular?</p>

<p>GPA and Scores, ect?</p>

<p>This makes me feel old. :(</p>

<p>My daughter will be applying, Early Action. This is her #1 school. It has exactly what she wants (Journalism) and how she can combine majors/minors. We went to an information session and to the open house in February and that is when she fell in love with the school.</p>

<p>My only concern is will she get in. She took the SAT as a sophomore (1570) which was right on with her PSAT (1510). She took the PSAT again this past October as a junior (1690) and hopefully her score will increase just as well. She’s retaking the SAT in MAY and taking the ACT for the first time in June.</p>

<p>She’s ranked in the top 10% in her class (she’s probably 10th in a class of 135) in a all girl Catholic HS in Manhattan. She was accelerated in MS where we live (Hudson Valley) and took 9th grade math and science (Algebra I & Biology) so she’s been a year ahead in those classes. She took AP Physics in Sophomore year (they emphasize the school teaches the class-not the test) so she passed with a 90 and got a 1 in the AP. Her HS closed at the end of June in 2011 so she now commutes over 90 minutes to Manhattan to school. This year she it taking Pre-Calc, AP US History; Sociology, Health; Forensics; Psychology, Honors English. She was exempt from finals in Sociology and Health because she had over a 90 average in the classes. She is currently exempt from PE because she is heavily involved in Irish Dance for 10 years. She has worked over 50 hours community service at our local library, National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society, wrote for our local paper. She is also a snare drummer in our pipe band. </p>

<p>I know she needs to bring up her test scores. She knows that too. We visited one other school yesterday and she didn’t like it. We still need to visit others, but right now UM is #1.</p>

<p>Her Class Rank will help, but she wants to get the SAT around a 1900 and the ACT around a 28, early action also improves chances by about 15% I believe. I have not visited the campus, but have been in Coral Gables and Miami several times and I love the city.</p>

<p>rankinr: did you go to Miami?</p>

<p>I’m a student here! Class of 2013, so I’ll be graduating just before your class will enter. So, if you have any questions I am, and many other people on this forum are, happy to help :)</p>

<p>Oh ok Cool, thanks!</p>

<p>My DS will be applying EA in the Fall also. It is his #1 choice also. We visited twice already, most recently at the open house in February (momthechauffer, unbelievable how many people were there, right?). DS is interested in BME, just loves the campus, the opportunities in the engineering school, the size, everything. Based on his SAT, GPA, class rank, our HS Naviance, Miami CDS, etc., I feel like it’s a match for him (but you can never be too sure). The challenge is going to be getting some merit aid. DS is taking the ACT for the second (and final) time this weekend and has already taken the SAT twice (and is done). Fingers crossed that he gets the ACT in merit aid range this time.</p>

<p>momthechauffer, looks like we will be “talking” a lot over the next year. Feel free to PM me at any time!</p>

<p>Looks like this thread will be my new CC home :)</p>

<p>LINYMOM, hate to be a spoiler but I think your S is part of the class of 2016 and this thread was for class of 2017 - unless there is a typo somewhere ;)</p>

<p>Naviance is a great tool for those who don’t already know, Gives you an idea of the SAT/ACT + GPA you need to get accepted,ect. Easy to Compare Schools.</p>

<p>zinc: DS graduates from HS in June 2013; starts college somewhere that fall. So I think he graduates in 2017. Math is not my strong suit but I know that my DD graduated from HS in 2010 and will graduate from college in 2014. So, if I follow the same pattern, DS will graduate in 2017. So do I get to stay here? :)</p>

<p>darosenthal8: To add to what you wrote about Naviance, the best part is that it is high school-specific. So you can see who from YOUR HS was accepted/declined/waitlisted and their SAT/ACT/GPA. You just have to remember that recruited athletes are lumped in too (may have lower stats).</p>

<p>LINYMOM: <a href=“http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/9951337.jpg[/url]”>http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/9951337.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>;)</p>

<p>Sorry LINYMOM - in our PMs I was under the impression he was graduating this June and would be applying Fall of 2012. My bad :(</p>

<p>rankinr: Thank you!</p>

<p>zinc: No problem! Very grateful for all your help so far!</p>

<p>Yea I know, my Highschool Naviance says the average is a 3.71 GPA and a 29 ACT or 1918 SAT, so I feel I have a good shot. 25/39 Accepted since 2007. I wish I could see who applied early admission though.</p>

<p>darosenthal: look at SAT 1600 on Naviance. I just reconfirmed with UM admissions that they don’t look at SAT writing at all. </p>

<p>Sent from my ADR6300 using CC App</p>

<p>LINYMOM: Wow really? Thanks for that tip, I think a 1200 out of 1600 is the minimum they would consider, the average that way at my school is a 1271. </p>

<p>Do you know if they prefer the ACT or SAT?</p>

<p>It’s been a while, but just wanted to check in with the potential UM Class of '17ers.</p>

<p>DS is so done looking at colleges. Really wants UM. Taking ACT one more time on 6/9 to increase chance for increased merit aid.</p>

<p>Decided against going to local Penn State info session this week; just not interested. He’s supposed to ask his teachers for college recs before the school year ends, but he just “can’t remember.” I just want this school year to be over.</p>

<p>One of my CC friends went to a recent UM info session in our area. She heard there that the minimum ACT score considered for merit aid is 31.</p>

<p>Do you know when UM apps are available? That’s on the agenda for this summer… what fun.</p>

<p>The common app isn’t available until august 1st.</p>

<p>I’m applying. 3.871 GPA Unweighted, don’t know about weighted.
SAT’s: 800 Math, 670 Critical Reading, 660 Writing
AP’S: Bio: 4 Stat: 4 Lit: Pending
Rank: Top 20% Unweighted (I go to a super competitive high School)
WA state resident. UM is my TOP choice!!!</p>