Miami (Fl) Vs Emory

<p>yes some might be overemphasizing how much of a partier he is, when i said he parties a lot i meant 1-2 times a week, I now realize this is probably pretty minor compared to other students. Besides the prestige of telling people that he attends emory being greater, he is concerned as a political science major that he will miss out on the opportunity to discuss and have classes with more elite students and teachers at emory compared to at umiami. Also if anyone as any experience with the umiami political science at the undergrad level, please let me know</p>

<p>Emory is more prestigious than Miami.</p>

<p>I would not pass up Emory.</p>

<p>Last year, my son got into Miami, but got waitlisted at Emory.</p>

<p>

That doesn’t make it more prestigious.</p>

<p>thats true but i think most would agree it is more prestigious, but does that prestige equal a better learning experience? make up for not having d1 sports for an avid sports fan? and for getting connections in the south florida community? please chime in</p>

<p>“Connections in the South Florida community” are overrated. The job market in Miami is awful and I get the sense that most students leave upon graduation.</p>

<p>However, I don’t think there will be a significant difference in the quality of education you get at either school. For me it would come down to cost, preferred location, and the impression you get upon visiting.</p>

<p>interesting two schools, both on my radar for my now tenth grader in south florida.</p>

<p>looked up average sats for the two, but then i remember there was a recent Emory scandal whereby falsified SAT reports, so wasn’t sure if the are really any higher than UM.</p>

<p>I think visit tie breaker might be in order. Both very popular for pre med. I visited Emory and thought it was cool that the hospital was planted right there on the suburban type campus. Not too sure about business major.</p>

<p>I am in South Florida for 30 years now and U of Miami as well as U of Fl both have come a long way in my opinion.</p>

<p>Yeah…that SAT scandal was pretty bad. It was going on for at least a decade, under TWO different deans of admissions…both using admitted students (versus enrolled) as well as just dropping the bottom 10% out of the pool entirely.</p>

<p>It is a shame, primarily because - under either set of data - Emory is still a fine university…but it just points to the intense pressure that these top-50 universities (and primarily the non-state, non-top-25 schools) must feel in terms of keeping their rankings as high as possible…for prestige…for alumni giving and capital campaigns…and for getting as many good applicants whose parents will write the FULL check as possible.</p>

<p>As the parent of a son who just got in EA at Miami (one who is going to be writing a full check wherever he goes), it is important to me that the school I write that check to is a place where he will get a quality education… and I am not ashamed to admit that I also want it to be a school that is respected by grad schools, future employers and the like. For schools like Miami (or Emory or Tulane or Richmond or Bucknell - another prestigeous school that admitted that it falsified admissions data), it comes with the territory of being in this tier of expensive LAC’s.</p>

<p>Yes,
One that really caught my eye was the long-time MIT director of admissions was discovered to have falsified her pre-MIT credentials a few years ago. </p>

<p>Funny thing is that I think a college scandal may have a certain benefit to students admitted in its wake. The school (Emory) becomes more transparent in its practices and maybe re-aligns its priorities, hopefully to the students’ advantage. The Emory student paper I saw a few months ago had an interesting student-centric feel.</p>

<p>It’s disappointing that universities are so desperate to improve their rankings that they falsify data to do it. UM, by its own admission, is trying to improve its ranking and trying to become “The next great American University,” but they are doing it the honest way - fundraising, and investing and promoting, not falsifying data.</p>

<p>Overal I think there is too much emphasis on the college you attend. Ultimately grad schools care far more about the grades and degree you got and what you did with your time at the university, than which specific university you actually attended.</p>

<p>I would say Emory is seen as a much ‘better’ school. They are so different. If you are drawn to one, fit is important.</p>

<p>From what I’ve seen, you can send a ‘partier’ to a monastery and he’ll still find a good time.</p>

<p>Academically you make your own bed. There are gut courses and weeders in every major at every school; how aggressively you schedule your classes decides a lot about your academic experience. Son1 went to the ‘U’ graduating with a Biology/Marine Biology double major and made a point of pushing himself academically. He had more internship offers than he knew what to do with and had a job upon graduation in Marine Biology. We and he couldn’t have been happier with his experience.</p>

<p>Prestige is irrelevant; for grad schools a 4.0 from just about anywhere beats a 2.0 from Harvard. The college doesn’t make the student. The student makes himself based on his choices. He should choose the place where he will most fully exploit and expand on his talents.</p>

<p>^I agree</p>

<p>Grad schools don’t care about the actual school you went to nearly as much as they do your grades, and what you made of your undergraduate experience.</p>

<p>please bump</p>