Miami University Oxford Nursing Program

I am looking to see if anyone has any feedback on the clinicals and overall experience with the BSN program at Miami University in Oxford Ohio. Thank you!

1 Like

I am wondering about this as well. I know the program at the main Oxford campus is fairly new (since 2018 I believe), but I think it is essentially the same program that they have historically offered at the Hamilton regional campus. From the website, it seems that they might use the same clinical locations as well, but I am not sure. We are hoping to get more information at the upcoming Make It Miami event. This is the info about clinicals from the website. I would be interested in anyone’s personal experiences as well.

Students receive an introduction to clinicals at the end of the sophomore year and participate in off-campus clinicals two days per week during the junior and senior years…

Exceptional Clinical Experiences

Our hospital and clinical agencies are located in the Cincinnati, Dayton, Fairfield, Hamilton, Middletown, and Oxford areas, including the following:

The Department of Nursing at Miami University strives to ensure that each student has excellent clinical learning experiences. This becomes a challenging goal given today’s complex and competitive health care environment where clinical facilities must meet the needs of learners from a growing number of educational units. Therefore, each semester many factors will impact the locations, dates, and times of clinical course offerings. A few of those factors include availability of faculty, availability of locations/units within a location, and numbers of students.

In order to provide each student with the required learning opportunities, all students must remain flexible and be prepared for clinical placement in a variety of settings, at a variety of times. This preparation must entail the following:

• Plans for transportation independently on clinical days to facilities;
  • Plans surrounding clinical travel that include the ability to travel up to 1 1/2 hours one-way to a clinical facility;
  • Flexibility to accommodate changes in clinical scheduling, even last minute changes;
  • Ability to be at a clinical agency on a variety of days, times of day, evenings or nights, and possible weekends, especially in NSG 464;
  • Willingness to adjust times/days of support or elective courses in order to attend assigned nursing classes.
  • All of our clinical agencies require us to have on file for each student certain medical information/documentation, proof of CPR certification, insurances, and criminal record checks. If these documents are not on file with the Department of Nursing by the required deadline, the student is NOT permitted to attend Clinical, and is considered absent without excuse.

The Department of Nursing reserves the right to adjust clinical schedules when necessary.

2 Likes

One exciting thing I have read about the program is that they will be getting a brand new building that will be ready for the 2023-2024 school year. Here is some information about it.

Part one of Building Connections: A series about Miami’s new building and renovation projects

By Susan Meikle, university news and communications

The new Clinical Health Sciences and Wellness facility will be part of Miami University’s first “corridor of excellence,” said Steve Large, assistant vice president for health and wellness and a member of the planning committee for the facility. Located on Campus Avenue, its proximity to Miami’s Recreational Sports Center, Phillips Hall, and the Goggin Ice Arena creates a corridor that will naturally promote cross-divisional partnerships in order to advance holistic wellness efforts for our campus and local communities, Large said.

The Clinical Health Sciences and Wellness (CHSW) facility will comprise three wings, connected by a “wellness ribbon,” or corridor, connecting three academic programs and three clinics both figuratively and collaboratively, said Marilyn Heflin, project manager for the facility.

The south wing will house Miami’s TriHealth employee and student health centers, the student counseling service, and the speech and hearing clinic.

The middle wing will house faculty and staff offices, inter-professional lounges and research labs for speech pathology and audiology faculty.

The north wing will house three academic programs: speech pathology and audiology, the Oxford cohort for the BSN nursing program and the new Master of Medical Science (MMSc)/Physician Associate studies program, an initiative supported by the Boldly Creative academic development fund.

Nursing: Oxford BSN cohort, workshops for new graduate nursing programs

Jennifer Rode, associate professor of nursing and director of the new nursing graduate programs, is also excited about the new facility and how it will contribute to the expansion of nursing programs.

The facility will house the Oxford cohort of undergraduate nursing (BSN) students. The nursing graduate programs will have a presence across both the Hamilton and Oxford campuses in terms of faculty and lab resources, she said.

The new Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) and Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) programs will be mainly online, but certain required on-campus workshop components will be held in the CHSW facility’s simulation labs and collaborative classroom spaces. All nursing graduate students will have access to the lab space for skill development as needed, Rode said.

The third floor of the academic wing will house a nursing skills area with eight simulation (SIM) labs including OR/trauma; obstetrics; ICU; pediatrics; three adult exam rooms; and a home health apartment model.

2 Likes

Yes I am excited about the new health science building and the timing of it! My daughter was also accepted for direct admission to UC and Xavier, both look like good programs. She has decided to go to Miami because she feels like it is a better fit for her and loves the campus. She has now heard positive things about the Oxford nursing program from current Sophomore students. I also joined the Facebook Miami class of 2026 page (very helpful) and there was a suggestion to join the Miami University Oxford Nursing Parents page. Best of luck to your daughter’s decision!

1 Like