Miami University (Oxford, Ohio) vs Saint Louis University Mechanical Engineering

Hello everyone. I am an international student who is deciding which one of these schools to attend. I would like to know what are your opinions on these two schools, particularly the Mechanical Engineering major.
Also, I would like to know what you heard about them, rankings, security, college dorms, and student life in general. I have to admit that one of the reasons I am considering Saint Louis University is the double major program in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, which Miami U does not offer. It is important to consider that originally I wanted to study Aerospace Engineering, but due to the limited work opportunities, I decided to go into Mechanical Engineering. Please, tell me what you think and which school I should attend. Thank you in advance!

Congratulations on two great choices!

I can’t speak to the relative merits of these engineering programs, hopefully someone else can. Both are very good schools. Both are midwestern, AND they offer very different environments. SLU is right in St. Louis, a large midwestern city. The university basically in a line that runs just north of west from the Mississippi River–the famous Gateway Arch, downtown St. Louis, SLU, Forest Park, Washington University, and suburbs beyond. So you have a lot of urban opportunities nearby. Forest Park is a huge, major US urban park with museums, etc. and lots and lots of green space. SLU is an urban campus. When we were there a few years ago, the area immediately around SLU seemed okay, not especially dangerous, not very inspiring. Downtown is close one way, though, and Forest Park the other.

Miami has a very beautiful campus in a nice small town. At Miami, and similar universities/colleges in “college towns,” student life tends to focus on campus activities, which can include lots of things, sports, Greek life, and often hundreds of varied clubs and other associations. So it would offer a student life similar to more stereotypical views of college life, even though, in reality, lots and lots of students are at urban schools or others that don’t fit that stereotype.

So one non-academic thing to consider, which environment appeals more to you–an urban lifestyle in a city that offers a lot or a traditional campus college experience that offers all that goes with that. They probably, in general, attract students that like that kind of environment. So if one strongly appeals, you might be more likely to find students with similar interests.

Good luck!