miami vs. cornell?

<p>i was just recently accepted to both the university of miami and cornell university. i was offered a substantial merit scholarship from miami, but no money from cornell, which means i would be paying over $40,000 a year for cornell. based on the miami's academics, do you think i will receive a good education and get into a good graduate school if i choose to attend there over cornell? or is it more worth it to come out of school with a lot of debt, but possibly a better career in the future. please leave me your opinions!</p>

<p>Wow julie...tough question, and one probably best discussed with your family as far as the money is concerned. Cornell of course, is one of the tops in the country, to that there is no doubt. Would you get a good education at UM, yes I believe you would. An ivy education...no...not yet anyway. :) </p>

<p>I think one thing you need to look at now perhaps, is what kind of grad/professional school you're looking at. Med school/law school...they are expensive. So if no debt is a concern, you can get there from UM. Honestly, my son is flipping back and forth between med school and grad school/pHd because grad school in the sciences (his major) are so economical. Stipends, Fellowships, etc., seem so abundant in the sciences. Almost unheard of in a lot of areas though (i.e. literature, arts, music) His girlfriend was just accepted to grad school at Emory and is thrilled. But with no financial support from Emory either due to her program. So, yes, getting into a good grad school is possible from UM.</p>

<p>Best Wishes on whatever decision you make!</p>

<p>I think finances are a very personal matter, but alot of undergrad debt when grad school is in the plan may not be the wisest choice. I also think your intended course of study should play a part in your decision.</p>

<p>The tour guide on our first visit to UM told our group that she chose UM over Cornell. A few of us parents raised our eyebrows when we heard this, but it became clearer as she continued her story, she was a Marine Science major, one of UM's strongest programs. She told us she has always felt challenged at UM and was now planning on law school to study marine law. She said she hasn't regretted her decision to attend UM for a minute. Good luck.</p>

<p>What are you going to study? That'd be like saying should you go to harvard or mit? Well, if you wanted to do anything in engineering/science related, obviously MIT.</p>

<p>Cornell is the place to be. It is in the top 15 in the nation while miami is 55.</p>

<p>My friend goes there and he is always telling me how much fun it is, and how great the education is. </p>

<p>He says Cornell is very dedicated to its students.</p>

<p>Plus Ivy's will help you a lot when you want a job or when you want to go to graduate school.</p>

<p>Sorry I can't help anymore.</p>

<p>my son is comparing UMiami to WashU -- 3/4 scholarship + FL Bright Futures vs. $00.00 from WashU. He loves that school, but he also really liked UM. He visited WashU for the Engineering Weekend, and found a huge number trying to decide between Cornell and WashU. He is looking at biomedical engineering, and just wants to make sure the program is a challenge and the school is fun. Both seem to fit, but the costs are driving us towards UM.</p>

<p>Good luck -</p>

<p>Trust me on this. Studies have shown that attending a top tier undergraduate school does not corelate with making more money over a 20 year study. Take Miami and pocket the cash. You don't want a lot of debt when you graduate.</p>

<p>Hi taxguy - at first, I thought you were my husband! :) Are we trusting you because of your painful personal experience? Somehow, I am such a victim of advertising -- going bonkers over all the college marketing fluff. Help me!</p>

<p>Jaxmo, no, you are trusting me because:
1. I read the study that shows that go to a top notch expensive schools doesn't increase ones earnings over a 20 year study and,
2. I know many people, some of who attended top notch schools and some of whom attended state universities and other private schools, and I haven't seen a difference.
3. I am a Miami Law School grad, thus, I am biased! However, I can tell you that it hasn't hurt me at all.</p>

<p>It seems like Biomedical Engineering has the same curriculum no matter which school you attend. Once you get past the intro bio/chem/physics (which most of these kids have done AP), the classes are smaller and the instruction is more personal. All have research opportunities. If UF and UMiami have "Florida money" to keep the talent home, why go spend a fortune at Duke or WashU? Those schools are awesome, no doubt, and I keep feeling like we might be shortchanging "junior" somehow. It comes back to the other students who will be attending with the kid -- there are several from our school going to Duke, and they are great kids. There is one from a few years back going to WashU, and he loves it. If only money was no object....but isn't it always? There is grad school ahead, and lots more expenses. I'm taking your advice, and betting the kid stays in Florida.</p>

<p>This isn't gonna go well with most people but...</p>

<p>I disagree with people that decide on a school with money as the number one factor. If the school were EXACTLY the same in EVERY aspect except for money, obviously go with the cheaper one, but thats never the case. </p>

<p>I have friends that are at state schools simply because they decided they didn't want to payback the debt in loans they would have from going to Harvard/UPenn/Columbia/etc. They had a chance to go to the best schools in the nation and many ended up at state schools only because of money.</p>

<p>Don't get me wrong, I don't think going to <insert top="" ranked="" school="" here=""> automatically makes it a better school. The reason I disagree with the choices my friends, with the exception of one or two that did go to MIT and Northwestern, is simply because of what I expect out of college. I don't care for a degree really, I just like learning and so do my friends. We always tried to be the first to answer a physics/calculus/statistics problem. So I feel as though they're not challanging themselves anymore. I mean while there may be some good state schools and while cost != quality......</insert></p>

<p>Agh, let me cut myself off. Major test tomorrow. Ignore this post.</p>

<p>I've heard that the kids that have what it takes to get into the top schools will be a success no matter where they go. Hard work, determination, intelligence, and coping skills will take you to the top of your field!</p>

<p>Jaxmo, yes, you are correct, which is why I suggested to "take the money."</p>

<p>My son announced at dinner tonight that he has decided to be a Hurricane!</p>

<p>jaxmo-Congratulations, I think your S will receive a great education and love being a Hurricane! Get your housing deposit in soon.</p>

<p>I think that to choose between UM or Cornell you would have to decide on a few factors:
1) Well money seems to be the issue in your case so its not in my position to say go spend 40 k/year on an education...so its more of a family thing to discuss!
2) The major you decide on could be a mjor factor. If you want Coomunications/Journalism Miami would be the place to go but if you want a liberal arts/engineering/bussiness education go to Cornell. I think cornell is better especially if you might switch majors b/c it is all around good! But if you are going to major in communications ect. miami is the place to go! miami really doesnt have anything else that is really good.
3) location. do you want to be in rural Ithaca, NY or sunny, busy, coral galbes , Fl (which is only 10 min. from downtown Miami)</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Go for Cornell, if I was accepted there it wouldn't have been any contest. Cornell wins hands down!</p>