Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

Yes, CTMom21 - thanks for sharing and validating. My kiddo feels very isolated - our online learning does not commence until March 30th. I think this will be a good thing. Anyone else with a lonely kiddo at home?

FWIW - I’m told this is the one Coronavirus website that healthcare professionals are relying on right now for the most up to date and accurate information - so I’m passing it along :

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu

I wish the Army would shut down and send my kid home. :frowning:

Many SAT locations are shut down, but none in Connecticut, where my son is due to take the test tomorrow. Should he? Or should I keep him home? I’m undecided.

@cinnamon1212 , I just had this conversation with a colleague. I said go. The desks are some distance from each other, he can wipe down his desk if he likes, and most of the kids are likely to be local and low risk (and I assume lower risk unless you are in a hot spot).

Having said that, we both acknowledged that she and I have different attitudes about this. But I would assess this as a relatively low risk.

DD is taking it tomorrow. With a travel size can of Lysol and purell in hand.

Also, I kind of want to point out that BSs which are somewhat isolated are probably safer for the kids than being home. All I have seen is kids hanging out with each other constantly - this is a vacation to them. I am the only parent who has even mentioned that the whole point was to limit contact. I get that schools would be screwed if one kid had it all of them will in days but if they could screen I would rather have my kids at school than hanging out with neighborhood friends who may have picked it up anywhere. I am rambly today. Sorry

DC was scheduled to take it tomorrow, but the location’s website states that the testing will be cancelled. CB has not yet posted anything on it, but I hope DC will have the opportunity to take it at an alternative location. At best, DC is a reluctant participant in test study, and I would just as soon not have this prolonged any further. I understand not having kids congregate together, but this testing location is at a school that is holding classes today. The SAT would have been a much smaller group.

We’ve gotten no notification from anyone, and our location is not on the college board site, but the entire school district where the test is to be taken is closed. (Actually, as I was typing this, someone from the school returned my message, confirming the testing is canceled).

So double check!

Comcast and Spectrum are both offering low income families’ students 60 days of free internet to assist with on line learning in case there are any families here that are in need

@1ofeach , we have had the same discussion here. DS goes to college in a state with 1 reported case. While kids come and go from campus, it’s pretty much of a bubble with 99% of the students living on campus. So while everyone is healthy, his risk coming home will be much, much greater.

But I do think that if there was a case or 2 on campus, there would quickly be hundreds. Most kids don’t live in single rooms. They share bathrooms. They eat in dining halls. They study and learn in shared spaces. And more than anything, I don’t think the health care system-- at school or locally - could effectively quarantine and treat that many kids.

Increasingly, my sense is that all of this social distancing (,including shutting down schools) is really meant to give the health care system some breathing room and to stagger their work. I am wondering if the number of infected will be roughly the same but it’ll be spread out over a more manageable time. Clearly, I am not a public health professional, but I am with you that some parts of this don’t really seem to make sense.

We got a notice from NCAA last night @ recruiting being suspended for now. Anyone else get that? Also, it’s strange about the SAT - cancelled at the school down here. Please keep us posted.

@gardenstategal That is exactly the point, flatten the curve so the health care system can handle all the people who get seriously sick from it. There are limits on number of beds, respirators and medical personnel available so we just cannot afford for everyone to be sick at the same time. That’s what Italy is struggling with.

Here is an update & information summary for student athletes
on NCAA -

https://sportsrecruits.com/blog/2020/03/13/the-ncaa-covid-recruiting-update-what-you-need-to-know/

Great explanation of flattening the curve here:
https://www-vox-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

I have to say once I understood the approach, I feel a lot more comfortable with the approach schools and companies are taking.

Quick question: how do people feel about how the international students’ situation is being handled, particularly those from mainland China?

Which schools have demonstrated really thoughtful (or, um, less than thoughtful) solutions in your eyes?

I think how a school deals with this challenge is indicative of their overall values (actions speak louder than words); it could be informative for those deciding where their kid(s) should go next year.

Exactly, @417WHB . Italy’s situation is awful. We should be grateful for what they have shown us if it allows us to not repeat it.

At some level, I think that I am saddened for the “sacrifice” that young people are making for the common good when we don’t have a decent plan for the common good. What they are doing will give us some time to develop it.

I am not saying that I object or that it’s wrong, but I do think that this solution, which may be necessary, has winners and losers and that this time, the kids are the losers.

Maybe my articulation of this isn’t the best because it sounds sort of selfish, which isn’t what I mean at all. But I wonder if this is an underlying source of parental grumbling about the decisions to send kids home?

We have opened our home to anyone stuck here from school. Golf optional⛳️?

<3 <3 <3

I noticed a school that decided to keep a couple of dorms open over March break for students with travel restrictions, and those who chose that option are being allowed to continue boarding there after March break, althogh everyone else will be taking classes online. (Those that left campus are in the same boat as everyone else, though.)

I was wondering if others took such an approach.

We offered up our home (although remote) to international students. On another note…DD was supposed to take SAT this morning (while traveling) and we showed up with about 30 other kids…no signage, no email, and per CB website still open. We waited in the cold rain…and waited. I finally called college board and they argued it was still open.
We waited for 30 minutes, when someone who knew a student of the school called that person and was told the school’s administration told their students not to show up. But they didn’t bother to tell anyone else. Needless to say, we were very frustrated with the lack of communication and the way this was handled.