Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

Public school kids can apply to CYA. It isn’t just for BS.

6 Likes

@CaliMex is right. I just brought up the BS connection because I think it lends some credibility to the program. I know Peddie and Lawrenceville both use them. I am sure others do as well.

1 Like

So mysterious. But sounds like something good going on, so, congrats?

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
And @Golfgr8 – how long are you keeping us in suspense? Sounds like a college announcement is coming?

5 Likes

SevenDad here with a quick drop-in/drive-by. :wink:

So far behind on this thread I can’t pretend to have caught up.

Anyway…in the spirit of Miscellaneous Rambling: two songs that I’m loving at the moment:

The Anxiety “Meet Me at Our Spot” (I know, I know, it’s been out for a while!)

and (no surprise), Maggie Rogers’ new song, “That’s Where I Am”

Hoping you all are well. 7D2 graduates college in about a month. Wow.

7 Likes

@SevenDad, glad to see you picking up where you left off. I’m sure you don’t want me to post links to BeeGees videos with all that hair and those crazy cool medallions… :wink:

:mirror_ball:

3 Likes

Meet me at our spot is such an earworm! Don’t know what it is about that song. Caught a vibe…

1 Like

Hi @SevenDad!

I’m back this year with daughter #2…it’s so strange to see so many of the same names 9 years later!

3 Likes

Is @photodad still around too? Daughter 2 is going to CA.

School Year Abroad would be an option. SYA.org. They now have semester programs too.

Updates over here:
DD4 made late-game decision to apply to BS and pivoted entirely and is now going to join her two sisters (including her identical twin – heart surgery daughter, for those tracking…) at Mercersburg in the fall! I would have never in a million years seen this coming three years ago.
DD1, in the meantime, applied and auditioned to about a million (OK, 35), BFA programs for Dance and Musical theatre (acceptance rates in the 1-7% range so 35 isn’t a crazy number in the BFA space). Some of you may remember when she was offered her dream ballet pre-pro so she left home on her 16th birthday and has been living in an apartment out of state since last year, finishing high school and studying ballet full time. Well, she did get offers from her dream city-schools (NYU, Boston Conservatory, etc…) and in a major pivot – fell in love with smaller, mentorship driven programs and committed to University of North Carolina in Greensboro for Musical theatre BFA (it’s a class of 4 boys + 4 girls, so very small, very individualized training). Again: I never would have seen this coming in a million years.
But both kids are doing exactly the best thing for pursuing their dreams and I’m beyond thrilled for them. Still – who would have ever guessed? not me.
All this to say:
FIT matters more than anything.
If anyone finds themselves needing information about auditioning for dance or theatre college programs, happy to share lessons learned.
If anyone finds themselves questioning about fit in BS and transferring, happy to share about lessons learned.
And finally: @Golfgr8 did I miss an announcement from you on your cryptic poem?
(Oh and in case you are putting it all together – yes this means we will have 3 DDs in Pennsylvania and 1 DD in North Carolina, while husband and I live in California, so basically I will spend my entire life either on a plane, renting a car to drive the 5 hours between the schools, picking up kids from the airport, or working to pay for it all.). :).

16 Likes

Wow, @Calliemomofgirls ! So nice the sibs can be together! And congrats to DD1! Those programs are insanely competitive. Interesting twists and turns but what an ending to this chapter.

3 Likes

I think your girls are amazing. Very few people are able to pivot like that but because they can, they are always ready to grab whatever opportunity comes their way!

By kids got to share an incredible year together at their BS. It was very, very special! It is not the same as being at the same old regular school (though mine never were) because at BS they share an unique culture and community. They have their own lives and friends but have also become so close. The younger two are going to miss D22 dearly, but I am so grateful for the bond they formed.

5 Likes

What’s the typical amount people are giving for friends’ kids who are graduating this year?

I am giving LLBean gift cards to the 2 kids we know heading to VT & Maine for college :smiley:

End of year awards. We just found out that our son is receiving an academic award! Very excited for him, he has worked so hard this Freshman year. I can’t help but be curious to see if this involves merit aid. We did not receive any on the front end, and hoped for something. Do you know, if your student does great the first year do the schools revisit merit aid? We do not qualify for any financial aid. I guess we will find out Friday!

2 Likes

Ooh - good idea on the kids heading north. Also curious on the amount/ideas. And if anyone has any thoughts for a medical school graduate, please send them my way.

Hmmm

I think the school explicitly will say if there’s merit aid from the award. At least here, there’s only three awards (out of quite a few) that can give you any sort of money.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of merit being offered to a current student who wasn’t admitted with it. It is typically used as an enticements to attend, not as a prize. Please don’t let that get in the way of celebrating the accomplishment!

Following the gift card inquiry…

3 Likes

If you know where they are going for residency, local restaurant gift cards might be nice. There are some specialty specific gifts you could purchase as well (such as lead apron/leaded glasses for a radiology resident, stethoscope for ER/medicine resident, peds stethoscope or otoscope for pediatrician, etc). Gift card for scrubs or medical clogs (online shops) might work. Amazon always a safe bet too.