Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

Re #1958, of perhaps somewhat wider(senior) student interest are the two wine courses:
“Introduction to Wines” in the hotel school, and “Introduction to Wines and Vines” in the Ag school.
The Ag school actually offers a major in “Viticulture and Enology”. Wine production has become an important business in the Finger Lakes region of New York State.

If you go to visit Bowdoin, a stop by Gelato Fiasco in Brunswick is a must.

Gelato Fiasco is a great name! For a rock band, even.

Is anyone else watching Schitt’s Creek?

Also- I need a good book for an upcoming trip and I’m open to recommendations!

What kind of books do you like, @PhotographerMom?

You could peruse this thread. Might want to skip to the more recent posts if you are looking for recently published.

Mysteries, Dishy Biographies… I’m up for anything!

Oops. Forgot the link!

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/403424-one-of-the-best-books-ive-read-in-the-last-6-months-is-p1.html

I recently finished Commonwealth by Anne Patchett and really enjoyed it. She also wrote another all time favorite of mine, Bel Canto, if you’ve never read that.

A Man Called Ove was one of my favorite reads from 2016, @PhotographerMom.

It usually takes me awhile to get to books as I have a long “to read list” so I’m not up on most of the most recently published titles.

Thank you, @doschicos !

@PhotographerMom Have you read the “Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency” books? Or any of the 2 series by Anne Perry (victorian murder mysteries) or any of the CJ Sansome mysteries (historical, Henry VIII era). All very good choices.

I have also heard that “Hillbilly Elegy” is great, although I have not read it yet.

Just finished Hillbilly Elegy. Interesting story, quick/easy read. Just don’t read any of the media controversy before you read the book.

Donated 30 boxes of books today in prep for a move on Friday. You would think I would have learned my lesson but the truth is I can’t wait to go shopping again!

@doschicos I loved Bel Canto too and Anne Patchett also owns a great independent bookstore.

@PhotographerMom some of my favorite books are The Nightingale, The Lilac Girls, Murder Takes Time, A Bullet for Carlos, Chosen to Die and then books by Mary Kay Andrews, Robyn Carr, Gemma Halliday, Dorothea Benton Frank for lighter, mindless reading! Have a great trip!!!

What’s your reading style, @PhotographerMom ?

I loved Freeman, The Nightingale, Joshua - a Brooklyn Tale, The Time in Between…
None are particularly recent though.

Huh, it seems I like historical fiction. Why haven’t I noticed that before?? LOL

I’m in the middle of the first Jack Reacher (The Killing Floor). Very good. I liked the movies well enough (I don’t mind vigilante/vendetta/vengeance themes…the whole “You killed my master, prepare to die.” thing) so thought I’d check the source material.

@carpoolingma, me, too! If you liked The Nightingale, read the Lilac Girls! Kristin Hannah actually recommended it and it was a great read!

Had lunch with all my sisters recently and one ( who had forgotten to pack a book for a recent trip ) had us rolling about what was in the hotel grab and go "book basket ". It was pretty much either Sydney Sheldon or Jackie Collins ( LOL ) which was hysterical because she’s a total " book snob ". At first she resisted but after a few days decided to grab one. She said she wanted to replace the cover(s) with brown paper bags ( on a DESOLATE beach ), but confessed that she LOVED Master of the Game. Oh, my. Good times. :wink: Where were you in the 80’s?

Anyway- @twinsmama, I have a real fondness for true crime, mysteries and dishy biographies. Also loved books like Olive Kitteridge ( I wanted Elizabeth Strout’s new book but it won’t be out in time for this trip ) , Swamplandia, and Rules of Civility- all similar to what I’m interested in for this particular trip. Lately, I’ve been trying to plow thru The Swans of Fifth Avenue ( based on several recommendations and high praise ). Truman Capote has always fascinated me, but I’m abandoning ship.

This morning, I ordered A Man called Ove ( Late again! Thanks, @doschicos !! ) , The Lilac Girls ( Thanks @buuzn03 ! ) , and A Gentleman in Moscow ( same author of Rules of Civility ).

Thanks, everyone!! I will definitely checkout the other great suggestions when I get back- which is awesome! :slight_smile:

If you love crime/mystery, some day find A Bullet for Carlos & Murder Takes Time. I made DH read them…the first one he picked up reluctantly…I rolled over at 2am and he yelled at me for suggesting the book because he couldn’t put it down! :)) they are both from a little known author but they will pull you in!