Mistake of taking honors classes I don’t know what to do

So I’m in my first year of high school (9th) and I took honors English and biology. I severely underestimated how hard these classes would be and now I have mid-high B’s in both. There may be a chance to pull up the bio to a A grade if I get a high score on the final but let’s assume this doesn’t happen. I’m most likely going to finish the year with As in the rest of my classes except algebra is a 91% so that got me stressing. I will get a A in AP comp science which is good. My question is do you think I have a chance in the running for Ivy League schools or are the Bs dealbreakers? I might do track next semester too. If not ivy leagues what about colleges like UCLA or USC. If anyone could answer this please cuz I’m stressing for my future. Thanks

1 Like

Why are you stressing? You’re in 9th grade and you’re being challenged - and nothing wrong with a B.

You may not find yourself in a UC or Ivy - too early to say - but then - so what? You’d be elsewhere.

Your future is not secure because you go to an Ivy or UC and your future isn’t a train wreck if you go somewhere else.

Forget the grades - make sure you learn these subjects because they build on one another. Get involved after school - club, sports, etc.

And be the best you.

In two years, you’ll be able to better assess where you are - UCs, Ivy, or otherwise.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Not a deal breaker. Keep doing your best.

2 Likes

Use this as an opportunity to figure out how to learn better. What do you need to do differently? Are you relying too much on memorization rather than using the concepts? How can you prepare better for tests - should you be reviewing your notes even when you don’t have a test?

Talk to the teacher. Consider a study group. Get pointers from a tutor if you can afford that.

As a freshman, this isn’t about the grade – it’s about figuring out how to master a learning challenge. You’re worrying about the wrong thing. You can do this, but not by doing more of the same! There will be plenty of great college options out there when the time comes. Maybe Ivies, but maybe something else. You don’t have to think about that for at least 2 years.

6 Likes

You did not make a mistake taking honors classes! You will become a better student by being challenged. Taking the easier route to get all A’s will actually not prepare you best - we all learn when we are pushed, and make some mistakes - colleges know this too. Selective colleges want to see you take advantage of the challenging courses offered by your high school. It sounds like you are succeeding in these courses. B’s in your first semester of high school are very understandable. Talk to your teachers and get feedback on the areas that you are struggling in. Ask them for tips on how to study more efficiently. Focus on your current work and activities and doing the best that you can. The more you learn about yourself and the type of student you are, the more prepared you will be to plan well for college.

You have not shut yourself out of Ivy League schools - but Ivy League schools are actually not the best for everyone - even for every “qualified” student.
You are in 9th grade now- you are not applying for college yet. Use this time to be in 9th grade! Then, when it is time to apply to college - use what you have learned about yourself to find a college that is a great match for you. There are lots of amazing schools with so many opportunites!

4 Likes

The most selective colleges expect applicants to have chosen the more rigorous options and earned A grades in them.

3 Likes

Please don’t overload yourself with AP classes and a laundry list of Extracurriculars to get into these schools. It’s seriously not worth it, and it’s not healthy. That’s a mental breakdown waiting to happen. Years back, my wife graduated high school as Valedictorian and got into Yale. She weighed 78 lbs. when she walked the stage.

My advice, stay balanced, even if it means taking easier classes or not having perfect grades. You’re not missing anything by not going to these exotic schools. The economy is run by people who never went to an Ivy League.

1 Like

Don’t worry about freshmen year that much. If you improve in Soph and further along you’ll be fine. One of my friends had a F in math during freshmen year, but she still got into Princeton. Like I’m currently a freshmen too, and I have a C in Honors Pre Calc.

Don’t worry about it so much, you still have a lot of time til college and who knows what will happen in the future.

Good luck!

A couple B’s in honors classes Freshman year would not make or break your admission to an Ivy League school. Such schools admit students with B’s on their transcript all the time. But there’s no way to chance someone for such a school Freshman year. Amazing students are declined every year and you have years to develop a more comprehensive profile with your academics, activities, etc.

UCLA does not consider Freshman GPA, so you could still end up with a 4.0 by their calculation. UCLA is very GPA sensitive so you’ll need mostly A’s Sophomore and Junior years (they don’t look at Senior year either).

1 Like