Mom needs advice

<p>Maybe it’s me…but feeling like my son was so excited to visit UA and so motivated to take the ACT test 6 times to get the needed score for the out of state scholarship. We visited the campus and he said he was 100% sure he wanted to go there. However, ever since he got the score and indicated he wanted to attend UA, he has not been interested in discussing with his dad and I anything related to UA. He used to spend a lot of time on CC reading the UA posts. I’ve asked him a few times if he had been reading anything on CC because there were several helpful posts regarding engineering, career opportunities, dorms, etc. He told me he didn’t get on the site anymore. Okay, experienced parents, I need some insight into teen boys. Is it that boys don’t feel the need to talk about things with their parents, do they expect they will take care of it all at the last minute, or is it a case of having second thoughts? When I asked him if he was still excited about UA, he said yes rather sarcastically like 'why wouldn’t I be? Thoughts?</p>

<p>Most senior boys in high school are just like him. I have 3 boys and none of them were involved in the college process beyond visiting and deciding where to go. I am actually impressed that your son went on CC at all. My youngest is heading to UA next year and I have mentioned to him several times that he should join the facebook groups so he can find a roommate but he hasn’t. I asked if he has been checking his crimson mail, he hasn’t. (Thankfully I have.) I’ve talked to him about opportunities, but he really is not interested. Yet he is excited to be going. I just think right now he is wrapped up in his senior year and doesn’t have time, or interest, in the distant future. We head to Bama Bound in June and I think then he will definitely get more into it.</p>

<p>This is so reassuring! Good to know that he isn’t the only one. My son isn’t interested in finding roommates either. He said he’s fine to go random. He doesn’t check his crimson mail either! We are going to BB in July! Thank you so much for the feedback.</p>

<p>A lot of guys in are that way. He’ll be moving out to attend UA in the coming months and will need to more things on his own. You can still help him learn some basic things, but for the most part he’ll figure things out himself and call you if he has questions or needs your help with something. Will he do everything the same way you’d do it? Most likely not. Will he make some minor mistakes along the way? Possibly. Help him avoid big mistakes and inform him of some interesting opportunities, but otherwise he’ll be in primary control of his college experience. </p>

<p>Having had 11 different roommates over my 4 years at UA, I noticed that a lot of guys aren’t very much into the whole roommate selection, decorating, etc. thing. This is perfectly fine. Hopefully he’ll get along with his roommates, will have enough food and clean clothes to last him awhile, and will keep his living spaces reasonably clean. Anthony from the Hotel Impossible TV show isn’t going to come by the suite each day to make sure that every speck of dust is gone and the sheets are washed every 2-3 days. </p>

<p>He’s finishing senior year. He’s probably busy with that. He may also be nervous about change. </p>

<p>My son ended up with 3 randoms, all sophomores who knew one another. They never became friends, but were civil and it put absolutely zero crimp in his style or his ability to make friends, hang out out with other freshmen, or join a fraternity. Like your son, he didn’t want to talk about Bama as high school graduation approached. He’s now about to graduate from UA, has had a magical 4 year ride, loves the school, and is a great, enthusiastic Alabama recruiter. I’m guessing your son will be fine, Angmom3. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>My kid did NOT want to talk about college before he left. I think he was just anxious about all the changes and unsure whether he would fit in. Now I can’t get him to even come home for an occasional visit. It all works out.</p>

<p>Thanks to all of those who replied! I’ll chill out and stop worrying! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>As a former teenage boy, it seems to me he has made his choice and feels no need to rehash his decision.</p>

<p>Boy. Enough said. (I have 2 of them at Bama, and they have not, as yet, laid eyes on CC). Daughter, on the other hand, has found a roommate and is working on sorority recs for her upcoming freshman year. </p>

<p>Ha! Unless they turn CC into a video game don’t expect many high school boys to use it.</p>

<p>Seriously. My son saw no reason to talk about school even during the selection process and even less interest after choosing (he is a junior now at a different college). He didn’t even feel the need to pack until the day before we left. This was the same kid who when he came home for his first Christmas break and we discovered he hadn’t taken any pants replied “what would I need pants for?”.</p>

<p>And its not like he is an irresponsible kid. He is a successful Army ROTC cadet (to be fair they did supply him with uniform pants for those activities)</p>

<p>Maybe its just our family but my daughter (a freshman at UA) didn’t talk about school much either.</p>

<p>I take it as a good sign that once they have made their decision they don’t stress about it and are willing to take life as it comes. They are confident that they’ll get what they need once they get to where they are going.</p>