Most difficult time of my higher education and career as a Civil Engineer

Freshman
Not able to interact with people due to Covid.

Sophomore
Statics, & Thermodynamics : Good god, both classes were so bad. Both courses not only f’d my mental health, but also f’d up my GPA. Felt like both Statics and Thermo were 9 credit classes instead of traditional 3 credit, because of superheavy workload. In both Statics and Thermo, we had to do 2 homeworks every week, and those homework were often very very difficult and did not really reflect what was taught in lectures and the notes the professor provided. The test is also pretty difficult with average hovers around 50. I somehow passed both classes, but did not do as well as I was expecting. I was able to make-up Thermo at some point in the later semester of undergrad for better grades, but I was not too lucky with Statics. For Statics, I never had an opportunity to retake that class.
Civil Engineering Materials (known as Material Analysis for Civil Engineer) : which is supposed to be the hardest course did not seem too bad. It was just lots of Chemistry. In terms of difficulty, I would say it is comparable with Differential Equation which is supposedly pretty challenging course for many undergrad.

Junior
Surprisingly, Transportation System Analysis : Has to be the second worst class besides Statics, and Thermo. This course is even worse than Structural Analysis which is supposedly the hardest structural sequence to take in undergrad. I am gonna deny that Transportation System Analysis is very easy class given that everything we learn is introductory. The concepts are very easy to grasp since we used very basic math like Algebra/Trig, Geometry, and some basic-level Statistics, Calculus, and Physics. For that reason the hw and test were supereasy. The group project which is 75% of the grade was an utter nightmare and cause me and my team to have mental breakdown. It was bad to the point where 2 of my teammate left in the middle of group project, thus force me and my another buddy to finish the task. Trust me when this project actually requires knowledge of programming language like Python, and C++, some portion requires us to use those software extensively to analyze traffic data.
Driving License Test: is a crapshoot because of the way examiner administer the road test. Test is not usually too difficult if you live in USA, and have prior experience driving on highways, roadways, day/nights, and different weather conditions.

Senior Year or Beyond
Reinforced Concrete Design: Although considered less intense than Steel Design, this course is still overdrive. The professor that run this course is very strict and has zero tolerance policy regarding being late to class, and using cellphone, laptops during lecture time. He even mention that he run this class very strictly as like most public high school does, is because he thinks being late to class, using cellphone and laptop is a distraction (even for purpose of taking notes), and this can contribute to student doing poorly on test/quizzes. Also according to him, the in class test averages have been higher (average of 77%-85%) on the exam despite course supposedly is very difficult, because of zero tolerance policy.

Steel Design: Considered one of the ultimate weedout class in Civil/Structural Engineering program. This course is also taken by Geotechnical Engineering students too as a second elective beside Earth Structures. He may be much lenient attendance, and technology policy compare to Reinforce Concrete Design professor. His technology policy is like he does not care about students using technology, as long as they don’t distracts other people. However, don’t get fooled by that as this professor made this class super difficult because Structural Analysis 1 was super easy and was not preparing well enough for any real world Engineering jobs. The lectures are very redundant too the point where professor would cover half of the concepts, and rest of the concepts you have to learn on your own. The test midterm average in this course in this course is between (55-65%) which is lowest in the Civil Engineering department besides Statics, and final exam average hovers around 45%. And there is still no curve. The final exam which is the hardest weighs 50%, and you have 1.5 hrs to complete it. Doing well on midterms, homework, and project cannot help you either since midterm (total of 2) weighs 25%, homework (total of 15) weighs 10%, and projects (2 individual project, 1 group project) only weighs 15%.

FE Exam (EIT Certificate): test is suckass because to 110 questions, and you only get 3 attempts max every year. Like if you fail 3 times welp it’s over, NCEES can literally make you start all over again taking all the review course. When I say you have to take review course I meant to say you don’t have to re-enroll and start over undergrad, but they can make you take almost 4-year worth of non-credit Civil Engineering review courses (Math & Stats, Physics, Statics, Dynamics, Mechanics of Solids, Structural Analysis & Design, Fluid, Environmental, Surveying, Civil Engineering courses in Geotechnical & Transportation, and Material Sciences), before they can approved you to retake FE-exam for next year cycle. This exam designed to daily fail and weedout 50% of Civil Engineering students that are planning to become aspiring Engineer. Many Civil Engineering companies also won’t even check your application if they see you fail or have not take FE Exam yet.

What is the point of your post? Yep, engineering classes are tough, so are the FE and PE. After seeing bridge and building collapses, I’m super glad standards are high.

9 Likes

I was sorta wondering the same thing. Every engineering major is tough and every student will find certain classes etc very hard. It’s really tough being an engineerimg student. But the tougher in school /training the easier it should be in the real world.

1 Like

I think every student has classes which were their nemeses either due to the material or the professor, but your post made me smile with the memories. For me, it was Dynamics and first semester of Physics. Oh, and both semesters of Intro to Engineering of all things! I can’t hand draft, lol. Yup, I’m a dinosaur. Programmed in FORTRAN and running one of our simulations on our dinosaur computers in Airport Design took 8 hours. You had better not make a mistake inputting the data, otherwise you were stuck doing it all over again and again and again - and each time took 8 hours! Press the button and come back later and hope it didn’t crash. My freshman brother had a new “fast” machine that could do it in 4. I was lucky, lol.

Your FE description had me scratching my head. In my day, the PE and FE were held only twice/year. I see that has changed. And the FE had all disciplines on it for the whole test. There wasn’t any specialization at all. I know that changed several years ago. In my former boss’ day, even the PE wasn’t specialized. I can’t imagine the horror of that test!

But one thing that I’ve noticed, that while the FE is a brain burner, the pass rate can be high depending on the school. I know lots of schools are ABET accredited, but my alma mater (VT) at the time had a super high pass rate. Pretty much everyone did. But I know people from less rigorous schools struggled. Many failed several times.

Trying to figure out what year you are. If you missed your first year due to COVID, you would be a junior right now. If you lost the end of your first year, you would have still been able to interact with people from Aug/Sept - March before things shut down. In that case, you would be a senior this year.

Oh I made a typo, and for some reason College Confidential can’t let me edit it. Yes, I could not able to interact with people due to COVID restrictions. Yes, I taken major classes like Chemistry, Physics, Calculus 2, and Driving-ed-course when COVID took place. Was pretty upset I could not able to make friends, since people in my class barely knew me because class was online. Another thing is that the driving schools who is supposed to give me lesson even stopped showing up, because they are scared of getting COVID from students. Yes, we were dealing with backlog with road test scheduling during COVID resulting me waiting for getting new appointment as long as 15 months.

1 Like

Did you start college in 2019 or in 2020? Are you in your 3rd year or 4th year?

I was supposed to start college 2018, because of 5 year middle early college prep high school program I ended up starting program later than expected. I am in my 4th year, and I don’t think I finishing my program anytime soon since I am only taking average of 9-12 credits starting junior year. I could have graduated in 2022 if I were taking 15-18 credits per semester. Also, there is no point of graduating if I don’t have a job lined up.

2 Likes

Have you already attempted the FE exam or are you worrying ahead of time that it will be too difficult?
Civil engineering is a difficult major, and it is important that students are well trained and able to handle the demands of the profession. After passing the FE, you will need several years of work experience and to also pass the PE exam.
If you are struggling with the pressure of this, please seek help. Your university likely has a counseling center that will offer services to help you deal with the pressures you are experiencing, and if you are not going to office hours and speaking with your professors and seeking assistance academically, do that too.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of the three strikes nature of the FE/EIT, so perhaps that is something that changed. Like ClassicMom98, the EIT I took had questions on all engineering disciplines, though I recall they were fairly basic - didn’t delve deeply into any discipline. And I recall when we were waiting to get in to the building for the test, there was a guy, about 40 years old, with his suitcase full of reference materials. He said he was taking the EIT for the 7th time - hoping he would pass this time so he could move onto the PE.

The PE was different too when I took it, in that it was in your discipline, but you didn’t further choose an area within your discipline for the afternoon session. I understand that now, for Civil, there are different focus areas you can choose for the afternoon portion of the test, such as water resources, transportation, structural, etc.

The EIT wasn’t too bad if you took it right before graduation or shortly thereafter, as you probably still remembered most of the material. The PE, I waited for eight years after the EIT (not a good idea), and took it the same month I had my second child (PE was last day of the month, she was born early that month). Would not recommend having a kid and taking the PE a few weeks later, though I did pass.

In any event, I know folks who work in Civil and they never took the PE. You might be a bit limited in how far up the ladder you can go at a company, though plenty of folks make a decent living and do good work in Civil without a PE.

I took my PE when my son was 6 months old and I was nursing. I thought I could pump during lunch. No, they locked the doors. No google to find somewhere to go. I wound up in a basement bathroom of a VERY seedy motel in downtown Richmond with the pump in one hand, a stun gun in the other (overprotective H had bought one for me years prior) sobbing. It was horrible! And worse, I signed something at work saying if I did not obtain my PE at that test, they could fire me. When I signed it, I thought I’d have 2 chances, but I got pregnant and S was born the day before that test.

Sounds like we took it roughly the same time, though it would make sense with both of us on this site.

I just read your post and am nodding and smiling at your amazing fortitude. Some of our work experiences as parents are no joke.

Getting back to this thread, I hope the OP is able to find support systems while getting through the rest of the degree process.

2 Likes

Sorry, I made a typo in the post, college confidential for some reason would not allow me edit my post I try to say that transportation system analysis course is super easy because we learning very very basic concepts. However, the group project turned out to be utter nightmare since it involves us using multiple programming and simulations software as explained below.

Surprisingly, Transportation System Analysis : Has to be the second worst class besides Statics, and Thermo. This course is even worse than Structural Analysis which is supposedly the hardest structural sequence to take in undergrad. I am not gonna deny that Transportation System Analysis is very easy class given that everything we learn is introductory. The concepts are very easy to grasp since we used very basic math like Algebra/Trig, Geometry, and some basic-level Statistics, Calculus, and Physics. For that reason the hw and test were supereasy. The group project which is 75% of the grade was an utter nightmare and cause me and my team to have mental breakdown. It was bad to the point where 2 of my teammate left in the middle of group project, thus force me and my another buddy to finish the task. Trust me when this project actually requires knowledge of programming language like Python, and C++, some portion requires us to use those software extensively to analyze traffic data.

That’s poppycock. Get your degree…and if you don’t already have a job…get a job…any job…while you continue to look for a job in your field.

I do want to say…you need to develop a more positive outlook on this field…or find a different career. As a beginning engineer, you will have a LOT of on the job training and evaluations to be sure you are meeting the company expectations. This is standard in the engineering industry from what I know. So…you need to be open to learning on the job, open to learning new things, open to learning new ways to do things, etc.

Re: the FE exam…take a prep course. One might actually be offered through your program.

Statics, dynamics and thermodynamics are very hard courses for a LOT of engineering majors.

3 Likes

I have taken my FE and did not passed the test. I already used my first attempt, and I only have two more attempt left on my belt.

Well, take a review course. The associations sponsor them. May I ask which school you are at now?

1 Like

Temporarily closing.

OP has clarified their educational status and has already graduated from undergrad and is currently pursuing their master’s degree in structural engineering and engineering management.

1 Like